iPod classic still value for money?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini Server 4,1 (2.66GHz Core2Duo CPU, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD), iPhone SE 2nd gen (128GB)
Obviously, in terms of storage the iPod classic is by far and away one of the "biggest" players, and the best value in terms of GBs per £ (and I'm pretty sure that inlcudes all music players on the market, not just the iPod range).

However, some friends I've consulted with with regard to considering purchasing one have expressed the opinion that HDD-based music players are somewhat of a "dead format", and that by purchasing one I run the risk of having a player that would fail mechanically long before the flash storage in a solid-state player wore-out.

I already have both a smartphone and a tablet that more than adequately serve my mobile computing needs, so the sophistication of a (5th or 4th generation) iPod touch would be wasted upon me given the far higher cost; I really do just want something to play music on and maybe watch the occasional video while taking long bus journeys (which I hardly ever do; I mainly walk or drive, and the physically-clickable scrollwheel which I could tap to skip tracks in a playlist without taking my eyes off the road is one of the things I like about the classic compared to most music players which one has to look at to change tracks, either due to touchscreen controls or tiny buttons).

Thus, I am left debating with myself whether to purchse the classic, or to accept a full 90% reduction in capacity - for only a ~35% reduction in price - and go with the nano.

Any wisdom & insight will be much appreciated :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Thus, I am left debating with myself whether to purchse the classic, or to accept a full 90% reduction in capacity - for only a ~35% reduction in price - and go with the nano.

Go with the Classic. In my humble opinion, the Nano is overrated and overpriced. I have had four of them, two are on the shelf because they failed, one is still barely working, and the other (an older one) works OK. The touch screen is difficult to use, hard to see, and not something you would want to use while driving.

OP
Ctrl-Opt-Del
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini Server 4,1 (2.66GHz Core2Duo CPU, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD), iPhone SE 2nd gen (128GB)
Go with the Classic. In my humble opinion, the Nano is overrated and overpriced
Must admit I thought the same of the nano (and definitely of the shuffle), it was only my friends' scaremongering about the old storage tech in the classics that made me wary; but, thinking about it, with every computer I've ever owned the HDD usually outlived the rest of the machine & ended-up as a secondary or back-up drive for the next one...

The touch screen is difficult to use, hard to see, and not something you would want to use while driving.
Oh, don't worry; even if I had've gone with the nano, I'd not've tried to use the touchscreen while I was driving! I'd've just accepted the luck of the draw in a randomly shuffled playlist. That'll not be a concern though, I am gonna go with the classic; I think it'll be a good investment :)

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Sold my iPod 4-5 yrs ago - 80 GB 5th gen - '05 model - first one to support video.
He just mentioned to me this past week that it's still going and being used everyday.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Sold my iPod 4-5 yrs ago - 80 GB 5th gen - '05 model - first one to support video.
He just mentioned to me this past week that it's still going and being used everyday.

I have two of those, though I think they were bought in '06. Both are now in possession of my kids and despite extreme mishandling (to put it mildly) they are both still going strong. My 5th gen lived in the car full time for most of its life, connected to my iPod integration system. So, it even lived through extremes in temperature and vibration, with no issues.

I now have a 5th generation 16GB Nano in the car. In my opinion, this is the best model of the Nano they ever produced. One of the nice things about being flash-based is that this thing changes tracks much more quickly than the hard drive-based 5th gen. Other than that though, if you need a ton of storage, I can't see any downside to the Classic.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Main-11" Air, iPhone 6+, iPad Mini 3, Hi-Fi Extras- Too many to count
I love my 160gb classic it's one of my favorite apple products.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro

I have the 40GB version of that same one, bought in '05. Still have it today, still working, it is docked on my alarm clock. Barely holds a charge, but that's not unexpected 8 years later.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.