Please HELP! Pictures from hard drive in trash and can't get out...

Reaction score
Hi,
Over the last two days I have been sorting all pictures on my old Mac Book Pro (OS X 10.5.8). I put all pictures on my Lacie Hard Drive and deleted the pictures from my Mac Book.. I am cleaning it so the kids can use it.
I got all the pictures I wanted on the LaCie and did an image search on the MAC. Since they still popped up. I deleted those files, but suddenly I realized it was deleting the pictures from my LaCie. I stopped the operation, but 2000 images are now unsorted in my trash. I tried to delete them (so they return to their original location), but that command does not work, probably because they came from the external drive...
I still have the pictures, so guess thats good. But would like to know how to quickly get them back in the folders I made, without having to look at them one by one and drag them back...
THANKS!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You need to re-attach (mount) the LaCie drive and then you should be able to put the photos back. Give that a try.

OP
D
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I tried and it did not work. I need to find a way to access the Lacie "trash folder" but it does not appear in finder. If the Lacie is unmounted my trash on the computer is empty. When I mount the LaCie to my new computer it shows up in that trash folder. I can't delete or "put" back the files from there...

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
That's correct. The "Put Back" feature only works with the internal hard drive. When I said re-attach the LaCie, I should have also stated "drag and drop the files from the Trash" to put them back. See if that works for you.

OP
D
Reaction score
Yes, that does work, but it is not going back to the original folder. It just drops the file in the location where I put it. I was hoping there was a way to get them back where they belong. I spent so much time sorting them... unfortunately the deleted files are randomly from all my folders....

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I understand, but the important thing is getting them back. It helps to open another Finder window when dragging and dropping. I use a handy application called "Path Finder" which makes the job of dragging and dropping to individual folders very easy. The app is not free but for me it's a must have.

OP
D
Reaction score
Thanks. I was hoping I did not have to go through the sorting process again. My plan B is to copy them back into my empty iPhoto on the old computer, sort them there in events and copy them back to the folders on the Lacie... guess I have some work to do... I am waiting for an answer from LaCie, because it seems strange that I can't access the deleted files on the HD directy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
would like to know how to quickly get them back in the folders I made, without having to look at them one by one and drag them back...!

If it comes to that, use QuickLook. That might go a little faster.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
This is really a comment or question for chscag—and I'm not sure the rules allow questions within questions, as it were...

You regard Path Finder as a "must have" app. Any experience with TotalFinder? I'm in the process of choosing a file manager & have no personal experience of either.

Ian

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@IWT

Happy to give you my opinion. I've used TotalFinder, PathFinder, and also the free muCommander. Of the three I prefer PathFinder for its ease of use. While it's not free, (the other two are) it provides a very easy way of moving files and folders plus some other things which are not available in the Finder.

You might also want to give "muCommander" a try. If you're familiar with the old "Norton Commander" from MS DOS, this free file manager will remind you of it.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Truly grateful for your time and advice, as always.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
This is really a comment or question for chscag—and I'm not sure the rules allow questions within questions, as it were...

Not really. It's known as "thread hi-jacking". But, the answer to the OP's question was pretty straight forward and conclusive.

To DeRosa, if you come back: Did you get it all squared away? By some easy method, or grinding it out one at a time?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.