Trackpad

Reaction score
The left-hand side of the trackpad on this MacBook Air becomes insensitive from time to time. When one presses it, it feels spongey, and the click is muffled, indeed there seems sometimes to be no click. The fault seems always to affect the left-hand side of the trackpad, but I am (acutely) right-handed, and that may be disguising what is really occurring.

When this happens, clicking that part of the trackpad on a link has no effect, and one must then click elsewhere on the trackpad, which always seems to be working perfectly.

What is causing this, and how can I prevent it ? The O.S. is Mountain Lion.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
I don't own a Mac notebook, but people have suggested that cleaning out the trackpad area might fix issues with sticking or lack of clicking.

You might want to do a few searches to the best method of cleaning though..

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
There's an adjustment screw for the physical clicking of the trackpad. This screw may need some adjusting. To do this...you need to access the inside of the computer.

Didn't know if this is something you are comfortable with.

- Nick

OP
P
Reaction score
Thank you both, and I have decided to take this to the Genius Bar later this week, as my time and expertise are regrettably limited.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you both, and I have decided to take this to the Genius Bar later this week, as my time and expertise are regrettably limited.

Gonna cost you! It's really not that difficult to get to the adjustment screw. You can go to:

iFixit: The free repair manual

...to check out the procedure. Of course you will need the proper tools as well.

- Nick

OP
P
Reaction score
If it is not asking too much of you, could you kindly post the link to the instruction for adjusting the trackpad ?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If it is not asking too much of you, could you kindly post the link to the instruction for adjusting the trackpad ?

Need to know the exact MacBook Air model you have.

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm going to link two procedures. The first one is for the 11"...the 2nd is for the 13". The reason why I am linking the 13" procedure is...it actually address's the adjustment screw for the trackpad (the 11" procedure doesn't).

Step #10 of the 13" MacBook Air procedure specifically shows the adjustment screw I am referring to (photo below as well):

Installing MacBook Air 11" Late 2010 Trackpad - iFixit

Installing MacBook Air 13" Late 2010 Trackpad Replacement - iFixit

yVFOtIxSUn34TuQo.medium

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.