Desktop Issue

Reaction score
Macbook desktop showing a new folder being created randomly every 5 to 10 minutes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 Mac Mini: 500GB-8GH : iPad 2 64GB
Command-Shift-N is the pre-set shortcut for a New folder
Could you be hitting these keys occasionly?
If it persists sit in front of your mac, without touching the keys, see if it happens

OP
Y
Reaction score
It happens without touching the keyboard. I am wondering if it may be a bad keyboard. I have not had any spills.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It's easy enough to find out if the keyboard is malfunctioning, just swap it out with another. You can even use an inexpensive Windows keyboard as a temporary test as long as it's connected via USB.

OP
Y
Reaction score
This is a macbook with built in keyboard. Connecting an external keyboard should not override the internal keyboard will it? I should be able to use them both. I will try though.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Once you attach the USB keyboard, it will become the main keyboard. I ran my 2008 MacBook that way for years since I used it at home as a desktop replacement. Anyway, that should provide a way of testing to see if the internal keyboard is damaged.

OP
Y
Reaction score
OK, so I plugged an external keyboard up and it is still creating folders automatically on the desktop. Odd thing is, when I disconnect the internet it stops. Plug internet back in and folders start creating. It only creates one every 10 minutes or so.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Which browser are you using? If it's Safari, try using Firefox or Chrome instead. I suspect you have some kind of plug in or extension that might be making the folders.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.