Mouse "Jumping" Issues

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2010 iMac 21.5"
So my Mac's cursor has been "jumping" for sometime now. The best way to describe it is a "jumping" that it does while I'm moving the mouse. I've tried two different mouse on the system (Magic Mouse that came with it and the Razer Naga) wired and bluetooth but the outcome is the same. Here is a video of me in 123Design showing what I mean: Mac Mouse Issue - YouTube Not really sure what the issue is or how to fix it -.-

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
This happens once in a while when one of (or a combination of) things is happening. First, if you're computer is running low on resources (RAM or CPU) - slow downs in performance can very well lead to erratic cursor movement. Second, if the mice are bluetooth mice, I've found that blocking the line of sight (for lack of a better phrase) between the mouse and the computer can cause a slight lag. Do either of these fit the problem?

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2010 iMac 21.5"
I have 4GB 1333 MHz Ram. Also I use two mouse, Magic Mouse which is obviously bluetooth but my second (main and the one in the video) is a Razer Naga which is USB. If this helps:
Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac11,2
Processor Name: Intel Core i3
Processor Speed: 3.06 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 2
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 4 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Processor Interconnect Speed: 5.86 GT/s
Boot ROM Version: IM112.0057.B01
SMC Version (system): 1.64f5
Hardware UUID: 821C20AD-9D95-5600-8B70-4A2BCE6CA7CA

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
One interesting thing I see in the video is that it seems to be jumping to the same spot each time. This would happen if you have two competing devices with are gaining and losing control and one of them is sitting where the cursor is jumping to while the other one is showing where you are moving the mouse in your hand..

You don't have the Magic Mouse active while you have the Razer mouse connected, right?

Any possible screen sharing or anything you've enabled with control?

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2010 iMac 21.5"
Haha no I don't have both running. The Magic Mouse is completely shut off and in a drawer to be honest. I do a decent amount of gaming so the Naga is plugged in at all times. My wife claims it started shortly after installing some of my games from deployment. (All Blizzard games and the Curse Client) so I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it or not. I've deleted their files but it still continues.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
One thing that comes to mind is a "feature" that is available in Windows XP, not sure about other versions, that makes the cursor jump to the current selected button or what have you. This is supposed to make it easy to hit the space to select the button as opposed to moving the mouse around, but it's just freaky and annoying..

What you are experiencing seems a lot like that where something is pinning the cursor to a particular spot and you are basically fighting it..

Have you tried booting the system in Safe Mode to see if it does this?

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2010 iMac 21.5"
I started the Mac up in safe mode today. I ran the same program (123Design) with my USB mouse (Razer Naga) and the mouse was fine. It was a little laggy (color wheel kept popping up) the programs themselves (Firefox, 123Design) took a little bit to get up (10-20sec) So besides being laggy as a system itself, the mouse issue was fine. So I assume that means the mouse issue is a program causing the issues, not the system? Also, if my assumption is true, how would I figure out the cause?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Safe mode traditionally runs the system by disabling a lot of extras which should yield a stable system but will not compare in performance to a regular system.

The fact that the mouse isn't jumping around in this mode with 123Design means that the problem is not with your system/mouse, but rather some application.

For starters, go to System Preferences->Accounts, click on your user name and then Login Items and see what is listed there with a check mark (write down the current list) and uncheck all of them. Now when you reboot you should just have OS X starting up with nothing else. Test that 123Design works with no jumping mouse.

Now, take a look at each of those programs you were running before and enable them one by one to see if any of those are the culprit..

If you don't have any running applications by default, then we'll have to look elsewhere..

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2010 iMac 21.5"
So under my Login Items on my Admin Account I have the following:

Skype 20-14-02
iTunesHelper
Canon IJ Network Scanner
uTorrent
Tuneupmymac

I unchecked them all, restarted the mac and the mouse still jumped =/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" i5 3.1GHz / 1TB HDD / 16GB RAM / Model 12.2 / Mavericks 10.9
Had a similar issue, that was driving me nuts. Searched and searched.... 'til I found that I had put the pen of my graphics tablet ON the tablet....:p.

Thymen

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Unchecking them actually only hides them when you start up - it does not prevent them from launching when you log in.

You need to remove everything that's launching at log in by highlighting each one and then using the "-" sign below.

C

chas_m

My guess is that it's the TuneUpMyMac, which is almost certainly useless crapware.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Or an old bluetooth mouse sitting in a drawer or closet that is still auto connecting...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.