• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

New Gmail update

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Normally I'm not ever excited about any gmail updates but this one is simply amazing. Anyone else using it?

Makes looking for messages a breeze now. I normally use Sparrow mail, mailbox, and mail to check my emails but this update is pretty game changing.

I figured out how to enabled it in the web browser version of gmail. Can't wait for this to hit iOS!

Yep excited over tabs in email. :Evil:

Screen-Shot-2013-05-30-at-9.20.11-AM.png

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
So are labels the new tabs? I don't have the update yet and haven't read anything about this update..

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Like everything else Google does, this update is rolling out to users over a few weeks.

I don't have it either so I'll reserve judgment but I'm not sure what to make of this yet. I'm not really sure I want someone organizing my emails for me. But, to be fair, if I can turn it off, I don't really care.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
I actually read an Engadget review on it yesterday and it seems fairly useful if you have a lot of emails and you need to prioritize quickly.

If Gmail puts an email in a tab that you disagree with, you can change the "rule" for it and assign it to a different tab going forward.

OP
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I actually read an Engadget review on it yesterday and it seems fairly useful if you have a lot of emails and you need to prioritize quickly.

If Gmail puts an email in a tab that you disagree with, you can change the "rule" for it and assign it to a different tab going forward.

This is correct. There were a few that were under the wrong tab but for the most part they were spot on. I really like this feature since I have over 2k emails on my gmail account. >_<"

You guys can start using it now. Just click on the gear in the upper right and you will get a drop down menu and you can enable it.

Linky to their blog and how to enable or disable it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
If Gmail would quit dropping everything even remotely related to firearms into Spam/Junk, I'd be happy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Blackbook, iPod Video, iPod Nano Chrome 16gig
Anyone use the Mailbox app - reckon this will have any effect on that?

It uses some combination of folders and labels and whatnot, doesn't it?

(If anyone hasn't seen it before, its a great email app for the iphone - and now the ipad - focussed on getting your inbox down to zero. Maybe not to everyone's taste, but its pretty nifty, I think.)

OP
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Anyone use the Mailbox app - reckon this will have any effect on that?

It uses some combination of folders and labels and whatnot, doesn't it?

(If anyone hasn't seen it before, its a great email app for the iphone - and now the ipad - focussed on getting your inbox down to zero. Maybe not to everyone's taste, but its pretty nifty, I think.)

I have it on my iPhone, and iPad. Even though it says that I still have 5k emails that I haven't gone through. XD

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.