Accessing MIDI Instruments in Cubase LE on a Power Mac G5

S

spillenger

I just made the switch from PC to Mac. I have a Power Mac G5 Quad, OS 10.4.4.

When I wanted to play a pre-recorded MIDI file on my PC, I imported it into Sonar, and it played. Period. No problem. I guess Sonar automatically accessed some instruments for the MIDI file to play. I routinely converted a Band-in-a-Box song file to MIDI, and then imported it into Sonar so I could play along and record myself on an audio track.

Now my setup includes a Presonus Firebox and Cubase LE, which came bundled with the Firebox sound card. When I import the same MIDI file that worked fine on the PC with Sonar into Cubase, I get levels on the software meters but no sound. For some reason Cubase isn’t controlling or accessing the Mac’s MIDI instrument banks. I tried importing this same file into Garage Band, using drag and drop, and … it played! So, clearly Garage Band is automatically set up to have MIDI data control some kind of onboard soft synths.

But I am still perplexed about why I can’t make Cubase LE work as it should. Since this is a free, “light” version of the software, Steinberg doesn’t offer any support.

So my question is: Does this sound like I just haven’t gotten Cubase to control MIDI instruments on the Mac? If so, are there such things already installed on the computer? (Because when I do the Cubase MIDI setup, it doesn’t find anything.) Or do I have to buy something for Cubase to control?

Thanks for any light you can shed.

Paul S.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.