My left side audio went out on my 2011 Early MBP 17

Reaction score
I have been inside and changed the RAM and had some issues with my superdrive, but I resolved them. I do not know if i caused it or not but what i do know is wether im listening from the computers speakers or through the headphones it puts out nearly no sound on the left side. I verified i do get audio ( by using headphones, 1 earplug at a time), but it is very faint.

Any ideas? did I hit a connector or anything? I did all the repairs over a year ago but the problem has only bee recently like 3 months or so.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
basic question, used different set of headphones? one driver dying is fairly common.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 Mac Mini: 500GB-8GH : iPad 2 64GB
The Ram will have nothing to do with it. Does this happen with all audio? Or just iTunes, for example?

Go into System preferences ->sound -> output: move the balance bar so the arrow is in the center.
Does it work now?

I'm afraid it it doesn't you've fried something on your logic board, on the plus side you MBP fairly new so if you contact Apple they should be able to replace it fairly cheep! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
I would say that the chances of it being either a driver in the headphones.. or the cable itself is to blame. Especially if this is only with a single pair of headphones.

This is a common complaint as well with Etymotics.. and it's almost ALWAYS the wax filter being clogged.

OP
P
Reaction score
Smh

The Ram will have nothing to do with it. Does this happen with all audio? Or just iTunes, for example?

Go into System preferences ->sound -> output: move the balance bar so the arrow is in the center.
Does it work now?

I'm afraid it it doesn't you've fried something on your logic board, on the plus side you MBP fairly new so if you contact Apple they should be able to replace it fairly cheep! :)

Well I am embarrassed! I never remember ever going into the sound on settings but nonetheless, this was the fix! Thank you so much!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 Mac Mini: 500GB-8GH : iPad 2 64GB
Well I am embarrassed! I never remember ever going into the sound on the settings but nonetheless, this was the fix! Thank you so much

Haha! Hey no problem, glad it worked!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.