Sharing Net Connection between iMac and iPhone

Reaction score
Hello,
My first post as a new member. I am growing tired of service issues associated with my current ISP provider and am looking at options. I currently own an iMac G5 running on 10.6.8. Is it possible to make my iPhone a hot spot for the iMac to use so that I may disconnect my ISP? TIA.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Sure, if you can tether on your cellular connection.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Hello - recommend to the forum! :)

Assume that you have a recent iPhone which will permit establishing a Wi-Fi hotspot (informantion HERE) - of course, your cellular provider charges for this additional service, so cost comparison (i.e. vs. modem/router from an ISP) would be desirable.

Speed & connectivity are other considerations - speed can be quite variable depending on many factors (again, information HERE); in particular if you need the fastest speed to your iMac, a cabled ethernet connection to a router would be your best choice.

So, many factors to keep in mind - you might also want to tell us some of your issues w/ your current ISP - good luck!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I currently own an iMac G5 running on 10.6.8. Is it possible to make my iPhone a hot spot for the iMac to use so that I may disconnect my ISP?

I hope you meant an iMac rather than an iMac G5, since a G5 can not run Snow Leopard 10.6.8.

Anyway, as you've been told, you can create a hotspot with your iPhone and connect that way. Verizon I believe allows you to do that without charging extra. I don't know about AT&T or Sprint. T-Mobile also is unknown since they just recently deployed the iPhone.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.