MAC address/Hardware address/Physical address HELP

Reaction score
Most of you will laugh, shake your head, or think I'm an idiot for asking this question, but I need just one person with the slightest inkling of an idea how I can retrieve my computer's MAC address from a remote location. My apartment was burglarized this past weekend, and among the things stolen was my 13 inch macbook pro. I have a capstone presentation covering 4 years of research on that laptop that I need by the end of this week - some things were backed up, but I need it back regardless. I know I can get my computer back if I can just get my MAC address somehow. I've tried Apple, but couldn't find anything. I haven't tried my internet service provider yet. I've used a whole lot of applications since I bought this computer, which was 4 years ago - if any of you know ANY company or network that I could have been on in the past 4 years that would have my MAC address logged or on file in some way, please tell me. Also, there is a high chance the thief lives in my building, and if so, I know what network the thief uses, in case there is a chance I can find my MAC address in this way.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Were you using a router at home with your Mac? My router here at home retains the MAC address of my iMac, however, I can't be certain that it would retain it when the iMac is disconnected from it. Worth a chance if you do have a router. Go into its internal menu and see if the MAC address of your MBP is there.

Also, if you were using an internet provider, ask them if they retained the MAC address of your MBP. Most ISPs will only retain the MAC address of their own equipment, but some also keep the MAC address of any device hooked to their equipment.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
My Dlink DIR-655 with the wired computers retains the IP for a while. I just checked my router and 2 are there from a week ago.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
When you are looking for the Mac address in your router be careful not to refresh the list of clients by accident. That will wipe out any Mac numbers that might have been there. Here are a few other ideas:

1. Check the security logs and if they are time-stamped focus on a period when you know you were using the Mac.

2. if Mac filtering was turned on is to look at the IDs of those devices that are let through. With some situations in the past I would look at the MAC address of the router. Some routers allow the router to take on the MAC address of one of the devices connected to it. Though you generally have to actively select that option.

Hope I didn't completely confuse you

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
On Linksys the MAC addresses appears on the bottom with serial number etc. if it was not stolen also. ISP should be able to provide IP address.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
On Linksys the MAC addresses appears on the bottom with serial number etc. if it was not stolen also. ISP should be able to provide IP address.

Isn't that the address for the router only though? My understanding is the OP needs to fine the MAC address of his computer not the router.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.