Audio Enhancement

Reaction score
I am wondering what products are available to enhance the quality of the audio from my computer. I am a music lover and just got a 5.1 surround sound system for my room that I play all my music from. I'm looking for an external sound card/audio card that I can plug into my macbook pro and my speakers. I don't have a need for recording or mic use, and the cheaper the better.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 Mac Mini: 500GB-8GH : iPad 2 64GB
5.1 surround!? :D:D

Well I'm not sure how hard it is to replace a sound card on a Mac, so maybe someone else with a bit more experience can help you out there.

I do however know that for inexpensive and good quality replacement parts Newegg.com is a good place to start. Might find something good their!

Good luck!

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Don't need a sound card. The decoder in most surround systems will be better than any $100 sound card. Connect your Mac to the surround system with an optical cable - "mini-toslink to toslink". Look at Amazon or Monoprice.

OP
A
Reaction score
I have the Logitech Z506 system, which doesn't have a port for an optical cable. It has the RCA, so would the optical cable and a converter do the trick?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Surround sound "speakers" vs surround sound "system".

You can either use the headphone jack on your Mac going from a 3mm stereo mini-jack to RCA cable and let the speakers give you a faux 5.1.
Which their documentation says they will do with a 2 channel source.

Or, you'll need an external sound card to get anything on your system that has an actual 5.1 audio track to those speakers. Most all of your music will be stereo, not 5.1.

Depends what vs OS X you are running and you'll have to do some research.

Griffin made a firewave external that worked with 10.6, but never updated drivers for 10.7. Time to just start googling and reading reviews if someone does not pop up with one known to work with the version of OS X you are using.

OP
A
Reaction score
Ok i guess its the system. I'm currently doing the 3mm to RCA setup now, so I guess I do need an external sound card. Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac (Mid 2011), 3.4GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB RAM, 2GB Video Card, 2TB HDD
This kind of falls into my field so I'll help out :)

If it only has the two red and white RCA jacks in the back, unfortunately there is no way to get true 5.1 surround sound out of the system no matter what sound card or adapters you get. The red and white jacks carry the right and left channels of audio respectively leaving no room for center, surround left, surround right, and the LFE (subwoofer) tracks.

The only way to get true 5.1 soundtracks is by using one of 4 connections:

1)Toslink/Optical Digital - this is a fiber optic cable
2)Coaxial Digital - this looks like a single RCA jack but it's gold colored
3)HDMI - we all know what this looks like
4)5.1 analogue in - a set of 6 RCA jacks (one for each speaker in a 5.1 system)

Now, you may be asking "then why did it include 5 speakers and a sub?" That is because they can "simulate" a surround sound experience using only the left and right channels through matrixing. I won't go into too much detail but it can essentially detect the levels of phase between the left and right speakers and re appropriate different sounds (i.e. dialogue) to the center or surrounds. Dolby Pro Logic is an example of this.
It used to sound pretty terrible compared to true 5.1 experiences but over time with technology getting better, these matrixing algorithms have become so good recently that it's hard to tell the simulated tracks from the true 5.1 tracks in a lot of cases unless you have really good ears. That being said, true 5.1 tracks will still deliver the experience that the sound engineers in the mixing room actually created.

What you can do to improve your listening experience? Look for audio devices that will output sound at up to 24bit and 192kHz sample rates (make sure to find the audio files that are recorded in 192kHz). That will deliver much greater clarity and depth if you have good ears. Be warned that it's difficult to find audio files in these sample rates though. They're just not circulated very much.

OP
A
Reaction score
In addition to the RCA input, there is also a "6 CH." I'm assuming that won't get me any closer to true 5.1?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
In addition to the RCA input, there is also a "6 CH." I'm assuming that won't get me any closer to true 5.1?

6 channels, I believe would be rear right, rear left, front right, front left, center, sub. ?

the .1 indicates only a part of full frequency is reproduced (ie, the sub).. so a 5.1 system is 6 discrete channels, with one of them producing only partial frequency. Make sense?

Oh, and my coax digital stuff is all still labelled as orange (although, the only system I have with this input is now very old)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What does the 6 ch input look like? That would make since seeing a how their are 6 channels of discreet audio in surround sound.

Yes, coaxial digital connections are orange/gold colored. Sorry about that! Should have been more clear.

Edit - I just looked the Logitech z506 up on Google and I'm looking at the connection options now.

The good news: it can in fact do discreet 5.1 mixes.

The bad news: it uses very unconventional connections to do it.

If I'm looking at this correctly, it uses three 8mm 2ch stereo jacks to achieve the 6 discreet channels of audio in a 5.1 mix (3x2ch = 6ch). Now, out of the box, a standard Mac can't connect to this with surround sound. You will have to purchase an external box that will take a Toslink digital input connection and output it via 8mm connections. They do make them because I remember seeing it somewhere (I just can't remember where or what it was called!). When you've found one, you will need a Mac compatible Toslink cable (they sell them on apple.com) which -if the MBP is anything like the iMac- will connect to the headphone output on the computer. You will also need three 8mm stereo cables (sold online and at Radio Shack) to connect to the z506. For reference, headphones use 8mm stereo connections to connect to the iPod so the cables look like that.]

Edit 2 - I think I found it!
http://dx.com/p/external-5-1-channel-usb-2-0-sound-card-optical-audio-adapter-black-41289

This one looks like you might just plug it in via the USB and the box does the rest. No optical cable needed.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Wouldn't buy that for a Mac. Notice it is for Mac OS 9.1 - no mention of any version OS X while they are noting XP and Vista, and only gives 2 channel playback with a Mac.

You have not yet told us what version OS X you are using either.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well maybe not that particular one but something like it is what he needs.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.