Disk Utility formats questions

Reaction score
Born in Brooklyn, bred in Manhattan, living in VT
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Mid-2011 27”: MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2017) MacOS 12.2.1: iPad Pro (12.9”) (4th Gen) iPadOS 15.
I have some personal dvd's that i saved off onto our iMac using the DVD/CD Master (.cdr) format for each disk.
Now I want to put all the .cdr's into a compressed disk on the iMac HD. This will have other .cdr's added to it time to time, so it must be expandable.
Which might be the best format to use? I was considering the Sparse Bundle Disk Image but not sure if this actually compresses and expands or decreases in size depending on content. What about .dmg or .zip? All ideas would be appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Your disk images aren't going to compress much more than they are already, so I doubt there's much mileage in compressing them further. You can test this by zipping a cdr and comparing the cdr file size with the zip.

Is there any particular reason you want to put them in another container?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Compressing a compressed file usually results in a larger file than the source. You can indeed use something like a ZIP to just keep all of your CDR together, but expect that ZIP file to take up more room. You're better of keeping a folder structure that you can use to organize your CDRs..

OP
Brooklynguy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Mid-2011 27”: MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2017) MacOS 12.2.1: iPad Pro (12.9”) (4th Gen) iPadOS 15.
Thank you both for your advice.

Your disk images aren't going to compress much more than they are already, so I doubt there's much mileage in compressing them further. You can test this by zipping a cdr and comparing the cdr file size with the zip.

Is there any particular reason you want to put them in another container?

First I was considering using the Time Machine to backup the CDRs onto my external disk drive. But that means I'd have to reconfigure the "Exceptions" each time I wanted to run one disk or the other. (Time Machine does its backups onto my Time Capsule disk. The CDRs will be on an external LaCie disk drive I have.

The reason for thinking of a compressed container for the CDRs was to save further disk space as the CDRs can be quite large in byte size. But, since it will not be to any advantage, I will just use a folder structure, possibly by author_name/audiobook_name. Thanks again for getting back to me on this.

OP
Brooklynguy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I hereby state that this thread should be closed.

BG

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.