Address book

Reaction score
I had to return my Macbook to the leasing company but before doing so I saved everything to an external hard drive. When I tried to transfer my address book to the new computer I got the message that this version of address book could not be opened in this version of Mac. How can I restore the information to my new MAc?
Bootslove

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
What Mac and What OS. Ill presume you have a newish Mac and are running Mountain Lion. What you need to do is Update the OS either via Mac App Store or got to Apple Support here and download the Mountain Lion Combo Update run it and you should then be able to Open your Address Book/Contact.
This is IF you are running Mountain Lion.
If not give us more info please so we can help you out :)

Cheers ™

OP
B
Reaction score
I'm not sure if I am running Mountain Lion. This computer is older than my last leased one & has version 10.5.8. Do I need to upgrade?
Cheers
Bootslove

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
For starters you are going to have to find out what OS was on the returned Mac and then find out what .v Mac you have now to find out if you can upgrade it to the OS that was on the returned Mac. 10.5 is Leopard goes back quite a few years. Mind you you can't update that OS any further. 10.5.8 was as high as it went. From there we have ton up to 10.6 Snow Leopard, 10.7 Lion and now we are at 10.8 Mountain Lion.
So you need that other information, because i recently did a wipe of my HD and reinstall, and i couldn't use 2 Apps even tough i had 10.8, i needed to do a the Software Update before i could use them, and i only had to goto 10.8.3 . . .

10.5.8 could run on a PPC or a Intel Mac, and if its a PPC Mac, you can't go any higher in OS because 10.6 and on is Intel only. If this is the case you will need to buy a Intel Mac that can upgrade to the OS that was on the returned Mac, BUT you need to know what that OS was, and what Mac you have now. To do that click the  in the top left of screen and then About This Mac and then giver us some details to work out what you have.

Cheers ™

OP
B
Reaction score
Hi
These are the details of my Mac's OS:ardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook
Model Identifier: MacBook5,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 3 MB
Memory: 2 GB
Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
Boot ROM Version: MB51.007D.B03
SMC Version (system): 1.40f2
Serial Number (system):
Hardware UUID:
Sudden Motion Sensor:
State: Enabled

Thanks, Bootslove

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well you can upgrade to the latest OS BUT you still haven't told us what OS was on the returned Mac ???
But to upgrade, you will need to ring Apple in your Country and ask them to send out a Snow Leopard Install DVD and you will have to pay for it, then upgrade to 10.6.8 which will give you the MAS (Mac App Store) then when you have that buy Mountain Lion and upgrade. If you can upgrade the RAM in the MB as 2GB isn't really a lot and you will struggle with just 2 GB if you go all the way to ML.

BUT you NEED to know what OS you had on the returned Mac ??

OP
B
Reaction score
Thank you TattooedMac I will try to find out OS of returned Mac & let you know. Bootslove

OP
B
Reaction score
Hi TattooedMac
The OS of the returned Mac was snow leopard or lion - they weren't sure which!
Cheers
Bootslove

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.