Dial up BLUES

Reaction score
Like my 33 year old son told me, "I didn't know they even still made those things."

I live in an RV in a mountainous area, there is no broadband available (except expensive and not so good quality satellite).

After upgrade to Lion, my old reliable 32bit apple modem would no longer work. I purchase a Zoom external USB modem and was able to get it working.

I upgraded my old 21" iMac to a new 27" iMac just before Mountain Lion was available.

This presents me with some "problems":

1. Software update, once it scans and presents me with updates available, I don't have seven days available. So any app updates not available from a vendor for remote download cannot be updated. Ever notice AppStore downloads don't work so well with dialup?

2. System update from Lion to Mountain Update is Wayyyy Out of the question.

3. I have an old PowerBook G4, that I can use remotely to get good broadband but am not able to download anything from the AppStore due to the G4 won't pass muster for system requirements to download anything.

4. I have no neighbors/friends within 15 miles or so that would have broadband available.

Other than dragging my 27" desktop 45 miles to an Apple Store (questionable whether they would even allow this at the store LOL) any helpful suggestions?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Other than dragging my 27" desktop 45 miles to an Apple Store (questionable whether they would even allow this at the store LOL) any helpful suggestions?

I'm afraid that's going to be your only option at this point in time until you and the RV are somewhere that provides decent WiFi. Either that, or buy a MacBook Air. Lots easier to drag to the Apple Store or a nearby Starbucks. :)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
It''s Powerbook itself that is the issue, it's the version of OSX but unfortunately you are stuck with 10.5.8 at best which I am sure does not do the App store. Do do feel your pain.

Do you have any friends with a Mac that you can say take a USB stick or external hard drive and get the updates and bring them home?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Its also worth noting that many of the updates are available for direct download for your PowerBook, eg a major os update can be downloaded from the web

And it is worth noting which of the updates you need are available on Apple's site as a standalone download, example:

OS X Mountain Lion Update v10.8.3 (Combo)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Indeed louishen, but at just on 800MB too much of a load for poor old dial-ups. Do you know anyone with ADSL who can download and burn to a DVD for you, such as your son?

OP
L
Reaction score
Thanks for all the quick responses.

looks like i'm going to be stuck until I relocate this winter "drag and drop" is not an option LOL.

Wish I could just buy the apps from my local Apple "brick and mortar. What a bunch of @#**.

Oh wells.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
They may not be such a bunch. Have you asked them to download and burn to a DVD OS X.8.3 Combo updater for you?

OP
L
Reaction score
According to Apple, Mt Lion can't be purchased other than through the app store. Once I have Mt Lion installed, updates can be down loaded anywhere by my G4 and copied to the iMac.

That was the path I had to take to update my Lion on the iMac.

Can't seem to do iTunes that way though.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Once I have Mt Lion installed, updates can be down loaded anywhere by my G4 and copied to the iMac.

How are you going to download updates on your G4? The maximum version of OS X that can be installed on a G4 is Leopard (if you have enough speed and memory). You can not access the Mac App store with Leopard. You need at least Snow Leopard 10.6.6 which will not install on the G4.

You can of course access the Mac App store with your iMac.

OP
L
Reaction score
OS X Updates with G4

While I can't download anything from the AppStore with my G4, I was able to go to the Support Download Site and download several incremental upgrades to Lion as well as update my iWork app. (all while at a remote iNet Cafe with free WiFi)

At one time Apple Store would sell OS X. But they have announced they would not be doing with Mountain Lion. (only available from the AppStore)

I think the AppStore is a genius idea. Inventory, OS compatibility, tech support, etc. But, if you are stuck in the Digital Divide, the AppStore is a NO GO.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.