Macbook Pro 15 inch medio 2009 CRASH

Reaction score
Hi!

Here's a presentation of the issues of my Macbook Pro:

How did it begin?
I have a MBP 15 inch medio 2009 with lion OS 10.7.5. It worked fine until a couple of days ago. I downloaded a file, but an error message popped up saying that there's not enough space on the hard drive even though there's 22 GB free space. Anyways, I tried to delete some files but then another error popped op (error code -50) and I couldn't delete anything.

What did I do next?
I rebooted my mac and it was very slow to start up. When I finally logged on the system opened the last 3 used applications (even though I quit them by pressing command+Q). I could still not delete any files. Now I had another problem. I couldn't open any applications such as time machine, disk utility, dock preferences etc. etc. And I couldn't use safari. So, I rebooted and the same problem happened. I have entered the recovery mode (command+R at startup) ran a disk check, and it said there wasn't any problems with my HDD. In recovery mode, i couldn't format my HDD nor reinstall Lion. I opened up my macbook, disassembled my HDD and put it back in - didn't solve anything in particular.

Status quo:
Now, I can't log on my main user (it shows a plain white screen and logs out again). But I just managed to log on my guest profile :) and am currently copying my files to an extern HDD.

Does anybody in here have a clue of what the problem might be? Is it a hardware problem - if so, is it a problem with my HDD or motherboard (hope not). And could it be a software problem? Can you recommend a good disk cleaning aplication which I can run on the guest profile?

I sincerly hope, that some of you might help me out - and I hope there's a solution that might help others out as well.

Kind regards,

mr. Damper <3

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
OP
M
Reaction score
You very likely have a failing hard disk. Disk Utility does not check the physical health of the drive, only the filesystem structure.

You may want to try running the SMART Utility to see what the drive thinks about its health:

Volitans Software- Makers of SMART Utility for the Mac (the free trial is all you need)

Another approach would be to try running the Apple Hardware Test. Instructions are here:

Intel-based Macs: Using Apple Hardware Test

Thx for ur answer. I somehow managed to acces my files and installed mountain lion. Now i am performing secure deletion of my hdd. Can I check the smart test with Onyx?

OP
M
Reaction score
Re: ...

You very likely have a failing hard disk. Disk Utility does not check the physical health of the drive, only the filesystem structure.

You may want to try running the SMART Utility to see what the drive thinks about its health:

Volitans Software- Makers of SMART Utility for the Mac (the free trial is all you need)

Another approach would be to try running the Apple Hardware Test. Instructions are here:

Intel-based Macs: Using Apple Hardware Test

My mac started working again. I have installed Mountain Lion via USB now and it works fine :S I removed the harddisk and put it back in... don't know if it's got anything to do with it.
But I can't check the hardware, I have tried to reboot and press command+D and also tried option + D and D alone :/

OP
M
Reaction score
Hi!

I've searched for this code before, but couldn't find any help. Recently my mac broke down - it started out with the mac not able to delete any files (error code -50 appears). Then I couldn't reboot - but I could run recovery mode - checked my hdd and everything - removed hdd formatted it, installed lion and it reoccured. Then I bought a new HDD - everything worked fine until now.. Same problem (error code -50), and I know what's going to happen next. Now I know it has nothing to do with the hard drive - but does any of you have an idea of how to resolve this?

OP
M
Reaction score
UPDATE!!!!!

I bought a new hard drive, which worked just fine until now. The same thing as prementioned is coming up again - it's started showing error -50 when I delete any file. I can't open many applications (low memory :S:S) and I haven't rebooted my mac because then I can't access it again. But now I know, since I've tried 2 hard disks, that the problem isn't there. But it has something to do with the error -50.... any ideas?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Is the memory original to the machine or was it upgraded?

OP
M
Reaction score
Re/memory

Is the memory original to the machine or was it upgraded?

The memory is original, haven't upgraded it. Furthermore I want to point out that I've bought and external case for my internal HDD, so now I'm using my OS booting externally via USB, and so far, no problems have occurred, so I'm thinking that it might be the HDD connecting cable that is faulty - or even worse - the motherboard :/ The cable itself, I think costs 60$, but I'm not sure if it's the problem.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.