Sending back my 12inch

S

snoopsta

Hello All

After using the ibook 12inch for a few days now I have decided to send it back. I love the size, the quality, the applications but the fonts are just too small. I find that I have to bring the laptop quite near to me. (changing resolution down was just not clear)

Creating documents in Word meant I had to magnify the page by 125%/150%.

Reading webpages in Safari the text just felt too small and i was squinting.

I really loved it for the days i had it and just wish the fonts where alittle bigger and I think they had ever so slight fuzz.

I hear 14inch has exactly the same size fonts so thats been ruled out.

Anyone know if the 15inch laptops or imacs have a slightly bigger font. Loved the OS and dont really want to go back to XP.

Thanks for all your help.

OP
N

nfs2

Wow i've never heard about someone sending a computer back because the fonts were too small.. In almost every application that uses text you can adjust the font size to your liking..

Anyways, the resolution on the 14'' is the same as the 12'', but the bigger screen will make the text appear bigger

A good 15'' option would obviously be the macbook pro

OP
U

ultrablue

Or the 17 inch iboo/powebook maybe? is that an option for you?

I went from a 19 inch LCD on my desktop to a 12 inch ibook, I had the same "problem." It took me 2 weeks, but I now am very comfortable with the size and anything bigger looks HUGE.

Good Luck!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
The 15/17" Powerbooks won't be better for you, as they have larger screens, but use greater resolutions...

The 14" iBook should be better, as the font size is the same, but the larger screen has the same resolution as the iBook -> Pixels are larger -> Everything is stretched when compared with the 12" model.

It is also possible to adjust the default system font size using Tinkertool...
In Safari you can also just hit command & + to increase the size of text.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini @ 1.5Ghz, 1GB ram, 12.1" ibook 1.33Ghz 1GB ram
get some glasses

OP
U

ultrablue

LOL!

Sadly, That was 1/2 my problem. Glasses and two weeks = get used to it and be very very very happy!

OP
S

snoopsta

Thanks all.

i'm going to check out the 14inch but before I do that I am going to try what Aptmunich suggests ;)

Is Tinketool part of mac OS or 3rd party?

Just out of interest It seems that for a little bit more the 14inch has faster processor, bus, Screen and Superdrive. Is it worth it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 1.58 - 60 GB 7200 RPM Hard Drive - 1 GB PC3200 & 1.33 Ghz 12" iBook w/ 80 GB 7200 RPM HD
I believe that the 14" iBook also has a slightly larger capacity battery...

Is it worth it?...that's very subjective question...I'd say it's not because I have wonderful eyesight and value size and I don't have a need for DVD burning on a laptop. For you or others...it might be different.

Reaction score
i upgraded from a 12" to a 14" for a few reasons:

- bigger screen
- super drive
- newer features (blue tooth built in, scrolling track pad, sudden motion sensor)

all of it was worth it for a little more weight and size in the laptop.

i love this freakin' computer. best one i ever owned.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.58GHz OC'ed Mac mini
trapzilla2002 said:

- bigger screen
- super drive
- newer features (blue tooth built in, scrolling track pad, sudden motion sensor)

I have a Super Drive, 80gb and all the newer features you list in mine. I didn't get the 14" because it was the same resolution as the 12", so I went for portability.

OP
D

DigitalN.

DanielNTX said:
I have a Super Drive, 80gb and all the newer features you list in mine. I didn't get the 14" because it was the same resolution as the 12", so I went for portability.
my 14 is just as portable as your 12. I have both, I prefer the 14 just for the larger screen.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
this is an interesting problem you are having, i hope that you can get a mac that suits your needs man

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 1.58 - 60 GB 7200 RPM Hard Drive - 1 GB PC3200 & 1.33 Ghz 12" iBook w/ 80 GB 7200 RPM HD
DigitalN. said:
my 14 is just as portable as your 12. I have both, I prefer the 14 just for the larger screen.

In that case...my Dell XPS 15-pounder is just as portable as both of your laptops :p

Like it or not...think it's usable or not...but

Smaller & Lighter = More Portability ≠ Bigger & Heavier

It's really that simple. They are both fine laptops...I can't wait to finally get mine in the mail next week :) I just have great eyesight and I can't relate to the people that don't...I don't dog them for it...it's just that I can't really empathize. Hope you get what you like...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" iBook 1.33
Hmm, what about using "Make text bigger" in Safari's View menu???

OP
T

TRIANGLE_CHOKE

trapzilla2002 said:

- bigger screen
- super drive

and here i was thinking about selling my 14" ibook for a 12" powerbook because everyone @ macrumors would poop on the 14" ibook, but i realize that there are others who love the 14" ibook as well!!!

OP
T

TRIANGLE_CHOKE

mcsenerd said:
In that case...my Dell XPS 15-pounder is just as portable as both of your laptops :p

Like it or not...think it's usable or not...but

Smaller & Lighter = More Portability ? Bigger & Heavier

It's really that simple. They are both fine laptops...I can't wait to finally get mine in the mail next week :) I just have great eyesight and I can't relate to the people that don't...I don't dog them for it...it's just that I can't really empathize. Hope you get what you like...

there isn't a place i cant take my 14" that a 12" can go. and honestly, unless someone really, really cant stand the extra weight, the 14" ibook, for all practical purposes, is just as portable as the 12" ibook. but both are fine machines, and hey, whatever works for you, works for you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
TRIANGLE_CHOKE said:
there isn't a place i cant take my 14" that a 12" can go. and honestly, unless someone really, really cant stand the extra weight, the 14" ibook, for all practical purposes, is just as portable as the 12" ibook.

It's not about being able to take one somewhere versus the other one. It's about a few less ounces sliding around in your bag when you're on the go. 16 of them to be exact....but like I said. I'm not doggin' either one. If I didn't value the smaller size and weight of the 12" so much...I'd be perfectly happy with the 14"...they're both dang fine computers. In fact...if I wasn't such a nerd...I wouldn't be looking forward to tackling upgrading the 12" to a DL Superdrive with an 80GB 7200 RPM Hard drive...but I am a nerd...and the nerdy part of me is looking forward to tearing the thing apart as soon as it arrives on my doorstep. If I had opted for the 14" model...I wouldn't have to worry about that superdrive upgrade...but I'd still do the Hard Drive anyway:)

OP
T

TRIANGLE_CHOKE

mcsenerd said:
It's not about being able to take one somewhere versus the other one. It's about a few less ounces sliding around in your bag when you're on the go. 16 of them to be exact....but like I said. I'm not doggin' either one. If I didn't value the smaller size and weight of the 12" so much...I'd be perfectly happy with the 14"...they're both dang fine computers. In fact...if I wasn't such a nerd...I wouldn't be looking forward to tackling upgrading the 12" to a DL Superdrive with an 80GB 7200 RPM Hard drive...but I am a nerd...and the nerdy part of me is looking forward to tearing the thing apart as soon as it arrives on my doorstep. If I had opted for the 14" model...I wouldn't have to worry about that superdrive upgrade...but I'd still do the Hard Drive anyway:)

i see exactly what you're saying. most of the time, my ibook is sitting either in my apartment in the college town i go to, or at my house back home... it's not like i bring this thing everywhere i go, which is why the weight may not be as much as an issue for me as it may be for some. but oh, using an external apple kb and mouse really hits the sweet spot with this thing. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.