• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Best online backup program?

Reaction score
Hi there,
I'm a bit confused about all the online backup programs and can't figure out which one is best.
This is my situation; I'm currently traveling and did only bring my iPad with me, and thought that I could just upload all my photos to my ipad. Unfortunately, I'm running out of space and the only solution I see, is to put all my old photos on a online backup, then delete the old photos on my iPad, so I'm able to upload the new photos to my iPad.
I'm just not sure which program to use. I've been using iCloud and the free 5GB, so I could just upgrade my iCloud, but I just don't trust it 100% as I've experienced some problems with the Phtostream and find the iCloud photo backup thing a bit weird and confusing. Besides that, I'm not sure that if I delete the old photos on my iPad, that iCould automatically will put the old photos back on to my iPad again. I thought of Dropbox instead, but it just seems like it takes ages for it to upload the photos.
Do you have any experience with this, or a solution to my problems?
Thanks, Cristina.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
I think you are on the right track with Dropbox. I suspect the speed issue has more to do with your connection than the Dropbox site.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I thought of Dropbox instead, but it just seems like it takes ages for it to upload the photos.
This is more about the connection speed than anything.

Dropbox's free plan only includes 2GB. If you need a lot of space and would like it to be free, you may want to look into either Skydrive (7GB for free) or Google Drive (5GB now but it will be sharing 15GB with GMail and Google+ at some point). Both of those services have apps as well for iOS. A bonus for Skydrive - it looks to have a photo album feature built in.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I thought of Dropbox instead, but it just seems like it takes ages for it to upload the photos.

+1 for SkyDrive from Microsoft. On line storage service upload speed depends on: 1. Your upload speed 2. How busy their server is at the time you're uploading. If you upload late in the evening or very early in the morning, it should be faster.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Keep in mind, DropBox gives you multiple ways to increase your capacity for free by doing simple things such as: referring people, sharing via your smartphone, set your phones DropBox app to auto sync photos, sharing with facebook, and other similar things.
I don't pay for DropBox, but I have 51.75GB of space available:)
Screen Shot 2013-05-25 at 6.37.52 PM.png
It's my go-to app for quick syncing, and use the photo auto-sync to store images I take on my phone so they end up on my MBP automatically. I use DropBox on all my computers and mobile devices, and they all sync seamlessly...it's pretty amazing that it's free and so easy to use via a simple file(also SkyDrive).

I also use SkyDrive and Google Drive. They work well too, but their more for redundancy.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
That's impressive. I've only managed to get up to 27.8 GB and a good chunk of that was, I believe, the 25 GB I got for purchasing an HTC One S.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
If Dropbox is not going to work, you could also check out iDrive. I think it's only 2GB for free, but that might have changed since I downloaded it. I use it to "backup" my important files.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2011, i7, 8gigs RAM, OS 10.11 iPhone 6s, ATV3
Copy is pretty new and similar to dropbox. You get 15 gigs for free and more for getting others to join. I have only had it for a week and have 27 gigs.

I like it.

https://www.copy.com/home/

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Copy is giving away the most amount of space for free with very few hoops to jump through, so even if it doesn't end up being your long term solution, it's great to have the ~25GB you can get relatively easily and move your images onto that and keep going..

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just signed up for it and I already have 17GB of free space. It also works across all the platforms I use (only Dropbox can also make that claim) so it might become my new cloud storage platform.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2011, i7, 8gigs RAM, OS 10.11 iPhone 6s, ATV3
I just signed up for it and I already have 17GB of free space. It also works across all the platforms I use (only Dropbox can also make that claim) so it might become my new cloud storage platform.

That's why I switched.. Love Copy

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Yeah just because of the available size, I've been slowly shifting over to it slowly from Dropbox..

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The only thing I don't like is the lack of any indication that a file is being uploaded or downloaded. That and the non-native notifications. Those however are small issues that I can live with.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The only thing I don't like is the lack of any indication that a file is being uploaded or downloaded. That and the non-native notifications. Those however are small issues that I can live with.

When I install the Copy client on my iMac I got the origami icon on that top and it does have a small progress bar indicating that it's uploading/download, you don't get that?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh, I see it now. I guess I just hadn't uploaded anything large enough to warrant the progress bar. Now I see that it has it for each file as well. Hmmm, I have to say, this seems much better than Dropbox.

I do notice however that it's nowhere near as quick as Dropbox is when it comes to recognizing filesystem changes.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not that I'm going to get very impatient with the slow recognition, but I noticed as well that it takes significantly longer to see changes. Seeing as I very seldom need the files synced everywhere immediately, I'm not holding it against Copy..

The one thing they have fixed, however, is that I got onto it shortly after it was launched and it was quite broken in that I uploaded a whole bunch of PDFs and it said it was doing it, but I couldn't see the files through the browser or any other device connected to Copy. It took a while to actually show up everywhere.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think I might keep Dropbox around for a while. I'm not committed to it but I'm willing to change if Copy proves to be more beneficial.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.