Need help.. Won't STOP speaking emails with headphones in

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Ok.. so I have searched the four corners of the universe to solve this, to no avail. I'm desperate as it is driving me crazy.

Problem. With the headphones plugged in. Siri speaks all new/incoming emails.. Sounds like a "feature" but to me.. it's a major pain.

I run with my iPhone and listen to music during the run.. I also get a lot of email.. so my music (and groove) is constantly interrupted by Siri w/ "You have a new Message from Bill @ ABC Company with the subject Do you have some time next week to chat" or the like .. then.. moments later.. "you have a new message from... blah blah blah"

I would think this would be an easy setting to find and turn off.. but for the life of me.. I can't find it.. Save me from this night mare ;)

Any ideas?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Is this happening in any other text-related applications? Something I read makes me wonder if one of the accessibility features has been activated by mistake.

Settings>General>Accessibility then look at the settings for VoiceOver, Speak Selection, and Speak Auto-Text

OP
RiDE
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Is this happening in any other text-related applications? Something I read makes me wonder if one of the accessibility features has been activated by mistake.

Settings>General>Accessibility then look at the settings for VoiceOver, Speak Selection, and Speak Auto-Text

Unfortunately those settings don't solve the problem (feature?) :(

Reaction score
Almost there...
Go to Accessibility and then dig into VoiceOver. At the bottom of that page, turn off the "Speak Notification" options.

That may help.

Mark

Reaction score
Did you ever get a solution to this?!?!?

I can't believe how difficult it is to stop something that is so **** annoying!

Please....help me!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.