macbook pro 2012 water damage

Reaction score
Daughter just spilled half a cup of water on the laptop. Wiped it up quickly, but it shut down. There is no external battery to remove. Getting conflicting suggestions about what to do. For example: if I place in a bag of rice, do I turn the laptop upside down? Or is rice bad for it? How long do I leave off before trying to turn on again? Should I take to Apple store right away? Appreciate the help.

Jeff

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Sorry to hear of the spill. Please read through our Sticky Post at the top of this same forum. It's a long thread but it should give you some idea of what to do and what to look for in the future. Basically, however, water damage is usually done very fast especially if the machine was on when the spill occurred. Taking it to Apple will result in them telling you that it will need major expensive repairs. As you know, water damage is not covered by the warranty.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
In answer to the PM you just sent....

The Sticky Post I referred you to is at the top of this forum - the one you posted in. It should be the first item at the top.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
For what it is worth, a ny chance your household insurance may cover the damage? ApppleCare does not cover spills which are often fatal to the logic board.

OP
J
Reaction score
macbook pro water damage

Read your sticky post. I've removed the back cover, dabbed off the drops of water with cotton swabs. Will it help to keep the laptop upside and open and have my cool air fan blow it dry?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Daughter just spilled half a cup of water on the laptop. Wiped it up quickly, but it shut down.

Read your sticky post. I've removed the back cover, dabbed off the drops of water with cotton swabs. Will it help to keep the laptop upside and open and have my cool air fan blow it dry?

When liquids are spilt on laptops...the damage occurs in milliseconds. No human alive can react fast enough to prevent damage. So cross all your fingers and toes for good luck...even then...hope for the best, but prepare for the worst!

Anything you can do to enhance the evaporation of the liquid may help...but still keep in mind...that the irreparable damage may/probably has already occurred.

Many of these stories are also in the sticky.

Good luck, :)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP (Mid 2012) Processor 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5 - Memory 4GB 1600 MHz DDR3 - Upgrading to 16GB.
All I can say is good luck, did the same thing to the first NEC I brought and it was dead within milliseconds, my insurance replaced it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.