MacBook Trackpad

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, MacBook Pro
Hi all,

New poster here but I opened up my MacBook today and found the trackpad like this [hopefully attatched picture!]. I have been nothing but careful with it as I got a MacBook Pro recently and the MacBook has been kept in it's case in a drawer when not being used!

Wondered if anyone knows what would cause this to happen?! Only used it a few days ago and all was in working order!!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Wondered if anyone knows what would cause this to happen?! Only used it a few days ago and all was in working order!!

My best guess is...there's a retaining/adjustment screw that's part of the "no button" trackpad. Maybe it came loose or fell out.

Was this MacBook dropped?

On the other hand...those two chips in the topcase (bottom of trackpad in the photo)...looks like someone was prying with a small screwdriver...causing the damage to the topcase!:(

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Various Mac's
There's only 2 logical conclusions, it's been abused or the battery has swollen breaking the 2 protusions holding the front of the trackpad in and allowing it to be pushed up. Never seen one like this before.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
...the battery has swollen breaking the 2 protusions holding the front of the trackpad in and allowing it to be pushed up. Never seen one like this before.

Great observation! "Pushing up" from below would cause that breakage of the topcase...which I thought could have been due to someone prying with a screwdriver.

- Nick

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, MacBook Pro
Thank you for the responses, I have now figured out that it is the battery that has swollen pushing this out. It has become a lot worse overnight and I'm now quite concerned that it may burst. Have booked a Genius Bar appointment for this evening to get it seen to as this cannot be healthy and I don't think it should have swollen so badly overnight!

As for the laptop, it's been lovingly looked after for the last three years! Never dropped, always in a case!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.