Apple TV Advice

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP (Mid 2012) Processor 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5 - Memory 4GB 1600 MHz DDR3 - Upgrading to 16GB.
OK I am loving my MacBook Pro. but now I have the Apple Bug again and have some spare cash to spend, so want to go shopping.

Plan on buying a iPhone 5 or wait a little while longer and get the 5S, getting a iPad tonight, now reading about Apple TV so want that and they are on sale here so plan on getting that tonight also.

So question to run the Apple TV I need to have an Airport Express or is my Buffalo Router ok to use?

I am also looking at Time Capsule so how does that all connect in to everything?

Advice on setting up Apple TV / Time Capsule and anything else I should add.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
The AppleTV will just connect to your existing network, either by Ethernet cable or wirelessly. Nothing else required.

The Time Capsule is basically an AirPort Extreme router with a hard disk so you'll want to consider replacing your current router with the TC.

OP
Murasaki
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP (Mid 2012) Processor 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5 - Memory 4GB 1600 MHz DDR3 - Upgrading to 16GB.
OK so dump the Buffalo Router and get the TC & Apple TV.

Thunderbolt Display looks like a good idea also.

I drooled over this person workstation.

m2_zps2465be84.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
One really nice feature of the ATV3 is the fact you will have all new MacBook,iPad and iPhone so all of those will wirelessly mirror the screen to what ever display/TV you have the ATV3 connected to.
The TC has a very nice ability to backup wirelessly to Time Machine and guest account for the wireless.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
I would say get the AirPort Extreme over the TC. You can still plug in a HDD to the APEx and backup via TM the same way, but you can choose which drive size to put in. Rather than being stuck with one size only. Also, if the HD goes out, you can replace it for a lot less money. Just my opinion.

I run 2 ATV's and an iPad, iPhone, MacMini (for iTunes streaming), MBP and Win7 Machine, BlueRay player, and a host of other stuff. I have my main wifi network and a guest network, all set up via the AirPort Extreme. Love it, and so much easier than fighting with Windows Media center.

OP
Murasaki
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the information Deckyon .. I read somewhere the TC now has 2TB HDD are their any plug in HDD or SSD with 2TB?

Watched a few Youtube clips on the APE and a lot of people plugging in USB 500GB SSD.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
I have a 4TB drive plugged into mine.

OP
Murasaki
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have a 4TB drive plugged into mine.

Drool, Make and Model please so I can see if I can get in Japan.

Sometimes I wish I never moved from Australia, so hard to get a lot of things here, everything I need I always have to have shipped in from Home or the USA, more money is wasted in postage then anything else:Angry:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.