Macbook Pro 2007 not showing anything visual on screen or monitor!? Need Help!

Reaction score
I have a Macbook Pro from 2007 model number A1226 2.4ghz core 2 duo 2gb/256 vram/160gb Hd.. Anyways heres the problem:
The computer will turn on and boots up but will not display anything! (but it will make noises like volume up an down beeps and what not) Which leads me to beleive there might be some setting or button pressed that makes the display not show up. Like i said i plug it into a monitor and still nothing. Im really lost on this matter so any help or advice will be greatly appreciated. This is also my first thread on this forum so anything im missing or redirection will be well received. Thanks!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Sounds like your graphics processor failed (GPU). If you're unable to get a picture on an internal or external monitor, that is usually because of a failed GPU. You might think about retiring that 2007 MBP and buying a new one. In order to repair it, the entire logic board would have to be replaced and with a machine that old, it's just not worth the cost.

OP
F
Reaction score
**** thats sad news to hear.. but i hear it boot up so i know the hd and everything works just nothing visual as of yet.. so does that really mean that i should scrap 1000$ laptop because of a lousy busted GPU???
Would there be any recourse as to getting a new GPU and fixing it myself??? I really REALLY dont want to "retire" this thing so any help would be appreciated!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Well, your 2007 MBP is no longer worth $1000. That might be what you paid for it in 2007 but right now it would cost around $300 - $400 to replace the logic board if you did the work yourself. The GPU is surface mounted to the logic board and can't be replaced by itself. I still think you would be better off replacing the machine with either a new one or a newer used one.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.