Mouse cursor not moving on 2008 macbook?

Reaction score
The cursor only works when a USB mouse is connected to the unit, is this software or hardware problem please?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
The cursor only works when a USB mouse is connected to the unit, is this software or hardware problem please?

There's a very good chance that your trackpad has failed...the older the laptop the more likely (just because of age & use). Since this is a 2008 MacBook...you will need to replace the whole topcase (the trackpad is not a separate part).

I've had this happen to me...and I had to do the same thing (use a usb mouse) until I was able to do the repair.

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
Hey Nick, how are you, been a while :), Thanks for the info but from the tutorials on this, changing the entire case means scrapping the entire laptop, yeeesh!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Thanks for the info but from the tutorials on this, changing the entire case means scrapping the entire laptop, yeeesh!

Where did you hear/read this. That's a bunch of BS!

You're not changing the entire case...just the topcase. Which is the part that includes the keyboard, trackpad & mouse button, power button, and speakers. If I remember correctly...you just remove about 8-10 small screws/machine bolts...and detach just one cable...and the topcase is removed!:)

If you're not super picky...an "ugly" (but working) topcase can be purchased via e-Bay for "cheap". Here's one for just $12.99 (+ shipping):

13" MacBook Keyboard A1181 Trackpad Topcase Palmrest | eBay

If you want a "pretty" topcase (no cracks)...it's going to cost more.

Also...check the replacement procedure at:

- iFixit: The free repair manual

...and you will see that you do not have to scrap the entire laptop to change the topcase!:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.