Advise on which router to buy

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014), 32 GB Ram, 27" Thunderbolt Display, 4TB G-RAID TB Storage
I think I need a new router. I'm worrying that mine is slow (D-Link WBR 1310). Any advice or info would be helpful.

As for my setup, I have a cable modem that connects tot he router. From there I have a desktop computer hard lined and then two laptops that may get access via wireless or sometimes hard wired if things are slow.

That's about it. I know there are storage options, etc. Not sure if I'd need that. Are there a few routers someone would recommend me look into? Specs to pay attention to? I'd like ease of use, as far as password, setup, etc.

Any advice would be helpful. Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Time Capsule gets my vote and it allows Time machine backups wirelessly.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
As far as specs go, you want a router that supports 802.11N at the minimum, if it supports 802.11A as well that's even better. Also since you are using Ethernet for your desktop computer, one with 1000 (Gigabit) Ethernet ports would be good as well..

For WiFi, you want to make sure that all devices on the network are at the same speed, i.e., that they are all at 802.11N or G or B or whatever..if you have a mix of WiFi speeds, the network might end up operating at the lowest device speed..

Virtually all modern routers are very easy to setup through either a Web interface or for Apple devices through Airport Utility..

As far as specific routers/brands go, you'll get opinions on all the major brands like D-Link, Netgear/Cisco and Apple..

I have an Apple Extreme Base Station and that works well for me..

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014), 32 GB Ram, 27" Thunderbolt Display, 4TB G-RAID TB Storage
Thanks guys. I don't know why I didn't think to just stick with an Apple product. I guess cost, but it's worth it.

As for model, I guess it would come down to whether the express is enough for my needs. With the extreme, I suppose I have more options, if I want to connect a printer, HD, etc.

I have external HDs for time machine backups, so I don't know if the Time Capsule models would be necessary. The only think I can think of is possibly using it for photos and music. I've been annoyed lately having two computers and two libraries. Would that be something I can do with the Capsule? But would I be able to achieve the same thing by connecting an external HD to the airport?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Thanks guys. I don't know why I didn't think to just stick with an Apple product. I guess cost, but it's worth it.

As for model, I guess it would come down to whether the express is enough for my needs. With the extreme, I suppose I have more options, if I want to connect a printer, HD, etc.

I have external HDs for time machine backups, so I don't know if the Time Capsule models would be necessary. The only think I can think of is possibly using it for photos and music. I've been annoyed lately having two computers and two libraries. Would that be something I can do with the Capsule? But would I be able to achieve the same thing by connecting an external HD to the airport?

Thanks!

You can connect an external to the AEBS but it is not supported (for TM) and if you experience any issues Apple is quick to point that out.
As for the desktop I would have an external connected via USB,Firewire or Thunderport depending on model and an ethernet connection to the web since this is not a portable unit anyway.
The laptops would take advantage of the TC and dual radios with guest account.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I would also look at the Airport Express for your setup. You can connect your external HDs direct to your Desktop machine and share them for wireless backups.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14

Concerning the statement in bold above, check Apple's comparison of their network routers HERE - the price is certainly right for the AirPort Express (compared to other competing brands) but the device is limited, so your present (and future) needs should help in your decision, if you want an Apple product?

For myself, we added a new iMac (replaced an old Dell DT) earlier this month and I could not get my old router (Cisco Valet) to setup correctly, so I decided to go w/ an AirPort Extreme - liked the extra features in the comparison link; we also have about 10 or so 'wireless' devices in the house - thought the Extreme would handle the network traffic better (not sure)? I've also had two previous Linksys routers (now owned by Cisco, I believe) which worked fine.

Good luck in your choice - Dave :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.