iPhoto-to-SD card transfer

R

RonH

I did drop-and-drag to transfer images from my MacBook Air (Oct., 2012) iPhoto to a Sandisk SD card. When I clicked on the SD icon on the desktop, it showed the images had transferred. However, when I inserted the SD card back into my Nikon AW100 camera, the images were not indicated on the card and therefore unable to be viewed. Do I need to use a card reader inserted in to a USB drive? If so, that seems unnecessarily redundant for such a sophisticated computer such as this. What am I missing?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Did you eject the SD card from the MBA before extracting it? Did you copy them to the same folder structure as the Nikon uses normally? Did you name them as the Nikon would expect?

OP
R

RonH

SD card photos

The slide lock is "unlocked" on the SD card. I did properly eject the SD card from my MacBook Air AFTER confirming the photos from my iPhoto library had successfully transferred using the "export" feature of iPhoto. I don't understand the relevance of your other comments since exporting seemed to be successful. After inserting the SD card back into the camera, it indicate "no images on the memory card". Still don't know why such a simple procedure needs to be so complicated.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Did you do what Razor above suggested? Without the exact Folders that Nikon expects on the card your pics are not going to show up.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The slide lock is "unlocked" on the SD card. I did properly eject the SD card from my MacBook Air AFTER confirming the photos from my iPhoto library had successfully transferred using the "export" feature of iPhoto. I don't understand the relevance of your other comments since exporting seemed to be successful. After inserting the SD card back into the camera, it indicate "no images on the memory card". Still don't know why such a simple procedure needs to be so complicated.

Traditionally, the cameras manage the files/folders as they seem fit. They usually follow the format of DCIM/NIKON5000/IMG0,IMG1,IMG2 and so on..

Also, usually people take pictures form the SD and put it onto their computers for further manipulation and distribution, but people don't go backward and replace the original file with the modified version..

So what is your goal here?

OP
R

RonH

SD card

Memory cards are storage media much like a flash drive. My "goal" is simply to take selected photos from laptop iPhoto library and transfer them to the SD card....thought that was kinda obvious. Then I can use the SD card in another (wife's) Nikon camera. Anyway, thanks for the assistance.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Memory cards are storage media much like a flash drive. My "goal" is simply to take selected photos from laptop iPhoto library and transfer them to the SD card....thought that was kinda obvious. Then I can use the SD card in another (wife's) Nikon camera. Anyway, thanks for the assistance.

SD's _are_ storage media and if you copied images to them, by all means insert that SD card into another computer and you will see them and be able to transfer them and so on. However, you are attempting to use a Nikon camera as that other computer and unless you take a few extra steps, it doesn't work automagically.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
This is not an issue with Apple. If you did the same steps in Windows you would have the same issues. Every brand of Digital Camera I have seen has it's folder structure and if that is not there, the pics will not be found.

OP
R

RonH

Thanks to all responders

I am experimenting with your suggestions. I will also talk to the Genius bar at an Apple store. Thanks again.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.