Got sick on my macbook

Reaction score
I have a 13" black macbook purchased in 2008. The other night I was sick and vomitted, and as I was trying to get out of bed, a good amount ended up on the right side of my macbook. I immediately cleaned it to the best of my ability, removed the battery and all, but I may have been too late as some of it might have seeped into my computer.

With everything dry, I turned it on, and it seems as if it wants to turn on. The start up noise sounds, however I get a file symbol with a question mark blinking. I read up that it's not picking up the hard drive so I tried again holding the option key. When I try this, the cursor shows up, but nothing else. I'm not sure if the keyboard is intact and there seems to be slight damage to the screen, as it looks as if there is moisture or something inside.

My apple care has long expired, so I'm wondering if anyone might have experience in this matter. I assume my hard drive is shot, maybe the inner screen would need replacing, and I can't tell if the keyboard or logic board would need replacing (I'm not very techy, I really don't know what a logic board is but it seems like a common issue with accidents like these). Anyone know what kind of price range I might be looking at? Surely, it being a five-year-old machine, if the cost is too much I wouldn't bother, but money is very tight for me right now.

Also, does Apple charge just to go in and have an estimate? Do they have any gripes over the fact that they might come into contact with vomit?

Thank you for your input.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
We usually hear about liquid spills, water, beer, coffee/tea and the steps are to usually take the notebook apart and dry up as much as possible and then put it into uncooked rice to get rid of any moisture..

Your case might require the same opening and cleaning but I don't envy you that task..you might want to use something like denatured alcohol to clean up whatever got inside..

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Unless you're in love with your 2008 BlackBook, it might be a good time to say good bye to it and purchase a new one. A machine that old quite frankly is not worth repairing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
The bigger problem is that you're not just dealing with water. Now you're dealing with an acidic liquid, this will damage the rather fragile traces.

Personally, I'd replace the machine. Fixing it would be cost prohibitive in regards to it's real value.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Main-11" Air, iPhone 6+, iPad Mini 3, Hi-Fi Extras- Too many to count
Try reinstalling OS X if that does not work then it is time to say goodbye to your macbook.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Before tossing it do you have household and/or contents insurance? May qualify as a genuine accident.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.