instagram & other apps wiped from my iphone 4s after restore and restored backup :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mac pro, macbook pro, iphone 4s
Hello,

Due to it not connecting to wifi, I was told to restore my iphone 4s. I did this tonight after being assured certain apps would not disappear but they did.

The instagram app, the ibg star app and many others were completely deleted along with their info apparently.

I'm getting a new phone tomorrow and I wonder how I can get these back on my phone. Is my instagram account still there? Will I be able to see all my photos and followers/followees etc? I have an online instagram also which shows all my photos but I can't tell from there what to do with regards to this.

Are all of my blood glucose records now gone forever? I spoke with someone at sanofi today who said they would be stored in an itunes back up.

Someone at apple care told me to back up to icloud as well, but I wasn't able to do that due to not being able to set up an icloud account email from my phone due to no wifi. I only use free wifi, no data package.

I'm not sure what to do now? Can you help me?

I'm astounded that apps I paid for at itunes/app store or downloaded for free can't be properly backed up and restored from there also. There was a message before I did the restore that said some things will be deleted and you will have to pay for them again.. this is crazy. Why can't they do a better job of this? I wasn't sure what to do at that point since I didn't know which apps they referred to, the above were free as far as I remember and apple wouldn't give me a new phone without me doing a restore to see if not being able to connect to wifi was a hardware issue, which I now know it is. It would have made more sense to just give me a new phone and do a backup without deleting this info off my phone if possible.

Thanks for input :)

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
some hope...

when I downloaded the ibg star & instagram apps to my macbook pro and then synced to my phone again.. the bg records were back fortunately.. however instagram seems not be restored.. it shows I have no followers etc. and no photos visible.. I'm not sure if this is due to me not having wifi still though.. ibg star app does need wifi for anything.

Do you know if my instagram will be back to normal by loading it to my new phone? I would hate to lose all of that. :Grimmace:

I can't remember all of the other apps now.. I had some photo editing, dietary, red cross and others..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
All you need to do is log into instagram on your phone with the same credentials you use online.

Did you backup you phone, just before wiping and restoring?

Do you backup to iTunes, iCloud or both?

Do you have or have you in the past more than one Apple ID?

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks mrplow,

I was able as I mentioned to get the apps back by downloading them to my macbook pro.. and then the info just reappeared eventually in instagram also... thank goodness...

I was not able to log into instagram until I got my new phone today, but I could see last night that my account etc. was indeed still there on my phone with pics and followers. That's good to know that logging in on a new phone with the internet account info will get you back to your account also.

I had backed up to itunes only because I had no wifi I couldn't set up an email for icloud to back up there also, I will try to do that on this phone because maybe that will store the other apps I lost better..

I have only one id and I know the id and password.

I wonder if I will be able to get my ringtones back now? They have all disappeared from the music app. I had a lot of trouble getting them to work in my phone because they were ringtones I created myself not purchased from itunes. Do you know a good way to do this? I can't remember how I did that now.. I also wonder how to create a silent ringtone for spam calls?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
It doesn't sound like you had a recent backup in iTunes before restoring your phone.

To get your ringtones to sync connect your iPhone to your Mac and open iTunes. Select your iPhone. On the Music tab I think, your can ticked which ringtones you want to sync.

You won't see ringtones in the music app on your phone.

Here's a link on how to create a silent ringtone:
Create a Silent Ringtone for the iPhone | Mac|Life

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It doesn't sound like you had a recent backup in iTunes before restoring your phone.

To get your ringtones to sync connect your iPhone to your Mac and open iTunes. Select your iPhone. On the Music tab I think, your can ticked which ringtones you want to sync.

You won't see ringtones in the music app on your phone.

Here's a link on how to create a silent ringtone:
Create a Silent Ringtone for the iPhone | Mac|Life

thanks again for this infor mrplow,

I did indeed sync & backup my phone "several" times before doing the restore just to be sure that everything was on there. I will try to get the ring tones back, as well as the silent ring tone and let you know what the result is :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
And that latest backup is the one you restored when you activated the phone?

It's a little odd, never known a selective restore like that. However, you seem to be up and running again and that's what's important.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
And that latest backup is the one you restored when you activated the phone?

It's a little odd, never known a selective restore like that. However, you seem to be up and running again and that's what's important.

Yes I believe it was the latest backup, of course I guess there is no way to be sure with these sorts of things?

Anyway, yes I have a new phone connecting wifi now and I have these two apps back which are the ones I use most. I can download more along the way I'm sure, lol..

I will try to back up to icloud as well in case this happens again.

It would be nice if they would let us upgrade to a larger storage and newer model phone, but that wasn't possible unfortunately.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes I believe it was the latest backup, of course I guess there is no way to be sure with these sorts of things?

It tells you the date and time of the backup prior to restoring it.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yes, it did tell me the time and date of the latest back up before I restored the phone and it was directly before doing that.

I'm not sure what is up but none of my music or ring tones are being synced to my phone.. I had a message the phone was already synced with another itunes so I think I may have synced it with my mac pro before the macbook pro. I will have to resync with that one later and hopefully get back some of the ringtones I created.

That silent ringtone didn't work in garage band, once you have no sound in any of the files it doesn't allow you to share the ringtone or whatever it is. I found another one to download which worked but which hasn't synced. I will try that on my macro later on.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you're syncing with more than one iTunes instance your bound to run into issues.

I'd consolidate you're library into a single place.

The silent ringtone link worked fine for me. But if you've found one great. Bear in mind it'll only sync if it's an m4r file and that you've marked it to sync ringtones and that it won't show up in your Music app, only in the Sounds panel in Settings

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.