Mac Pro issues

Reaction score
I was using my Mac Pro all day yesterday from surfing the net using airport to exporting HD video I editing from Final Cut Pro X and was on all day long. Then I shut it down real quick at night.

The next morning when I tried to turn it on -- nothing. I hear a click sound when I hit the power button but no fans, no drive, no sound, so I got real scared. It was a refurbished 2010 model, it's only been a year, and I haven't put it to its full use even, did some minor editing work is all. I was panicking worrying, googling for solution.

I opened it up and saw that when I hit the power button a red light flashes for a second but nothing else works. I took out the drives (2x 1TB WD HDD and 1 Samsung SSD), took out all the OWC RAM memory (16GB total) and replaced it with 1GB apple RAM memory that came with it. Dusted off all the insides and stuff and then plugged back the power cord and tried it. Same thing, I hear a click sound when I hit the power button and see a red flash for a second but it still doesn't turn on. I even changed the plug to another cord and still the same thing.

I'm worried to death and hope it's not dead or something. I suspect it's PSU that's failed but I'm no expert and I know next to nothing when it comes to Mac Pro related isssues cuz I've had 3 Apple computers, 2 laptops and this Desktop and an iPhone/iPod and I never had any issues with them, pushed them real far in terms of load but this is the first time I'm experiencing such an issue. If it's a PSU related issue, can someone suggest a decent, affordable and worthy PSU for the Mac Pro?

I'm really worried and need help here as I've got 2-3 videos that I have to finish editing for a project and I'm stuck now.

Help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
I had similar issues with my Pro, unfortunately I did the same as you with no luck. I even swapped out the PSU with one at work but no luck.

So if anybody knows an answer I would be interested as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Sure sounds like a failed power supply from your description. Replaced psu in my 2.1 about five years ago or so and cost was around the $400 mark using an Apple reseller. What do you mean shut it down real quick? The usual shut down from the Menu Bar?

OP
T
Reaction score
Sure sounds like a failed power supply from your description. Replaced psu in my 2.1 about five years ago or so and cost was around the $400 mark using an Apple reseller. What do you mean shut it down real quick? The usual shut down from the Menu Bar?

Yea from the menu bar like normal but I was real quick in doing so, not sure if it was shut down or was up all night and then suddenly PSU gave in or not.

What is your suggestion? Should I try to replace the PSU? How can a apple product this expensive and big give in so easily? I've made my macbook pro go through heavier tasks than my Mac Pro and it's still functioning brilliantly and that's 3 years old.

Any suggestions on what PSU i should use?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
Should I try to replace the PSU? How can a apple product this expensive and big give in so easily?

electric/mechanical equip is going to fail - when it fails is a random variable.

No one can be sure it's the PSU - without swapping one in. That's how service shops earn their money - by having parts available to swap, and give you the real answer.

I've used this place for power supply -
Mac Pro Power Supply : DV Warehouse, Your single source for your all digital video needs!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
As to doing it yourself depends on how competent you are in side a computer. Go over ot ifixit and have a look there for instruction s.

OP
T
Reaction score
electric/mechanical equip is going to fail - when it fails is a random variable.

No one can be sure it's the PSU - without swapping one in. That's how service shops earn their money - by having parts available to swap, and give you the real answer.

I've used this place for power supply -
Mac Pro Power Supply : DV Warehouse, Your single source for your all digital video needs!

Thanks for the link. I've managed to take out the PSU from the Mac. If I take it to a local computer shop, will they be able to tell me if the PSU is working or dead? Maybe if it's dead then I can confirm it is the PSU and go ahead and buy a new one.

Thanks

Reaction score
I dont know how much help this will be but I have a MacPro with a similar problem (well the symptoms sound identical actually). I've replaced the power supply twice and the problem returned each time. The workaround that has been working for me is that I unplug it from the wall after shutting it down and plug it back in when I'm going to boot it up. It has been working fine ever since.

Whenever I forget to unplug it, I usually have to unplug it and leave it like that for a few hours before it will boot up. I won't pretend to understand what is causing the issue but the workaround is doing the job for me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sounds like power surges imamacman.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
I've managed to take out the PSU from the Mac. If I take it to a local computer shop, will they be able to tell me if the PSU is working or dead?

I can't be sure they can do that, but I think that's a reasonable approach.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.