Adium Chat Logs Location?

Reaction score
Hi, AF! I'm new here, but it doesn't look like anybody covered this question yet.

A couple of months back, I accidentally deleted my Adium chat logs (via the Transcript Viewer, if I remember correctly). All I remember is that the files were dumped in my trashcan, after which I immediately went ahead to retrieve them in a new folder on my desktop. I wasn't able to view the chat logs in Adium's Chat Transcript Viewer anymore after that--I'd click on the .chatlog files, and it would bring up the Chat Transcript Viewer, but not the chat record itself.

I left it aside for a few months as I didn't have time to really look into it. Coming back to it now, I'm trying to consolidate everything again (old and new chat logs). My recent chats since the "deleting accident" have been logged, but I can't seem to find the actual folder on my system where they're being logged. They're not in Library>Application Support>Adium 2.0>Users>Default>Logs as I've read a couple of posts say to check out (no folder exists in Application Support other than an Adobe folder). Yet, my recent chats continue to be recorded...somewhere.

Tried hitting ".chatlog" in the Spotlight search. Looks like only the files in the folder I created from the deleting incident are there. (Do all chat logs have this file format anyway?)

I actually realized just now that a handful of old chat logs before the incident are visible on the Chat Transcript Viewer--but not all of them. Something peculiar I noticed on the list when looking at logs for a single contact, however, are that there are a couple of "holes"--a line would show the "To" and "From," but not the date when the chat occurred. Is this related?

I fun Adium 1.5.6 on Mac OS X Version 10.7.5. I don't know if that helps, haha.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Are you searching in the correct library? Keep in mind that the user library folder along with the user application support sub folder are hidden by default in Lion and Mountain Lion. You may be searching in the System library folder which also has an application support sub folder.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
It's in the User Library which as chscag said is hidden in 10.7 Lion and 10.8 Mountain Lion. If you are using either Lion or ML, click on the toolbar in Finder where it says GO up top. Hold down the Option Key and Library will show and click in it.

If you are in Snow Leopard, go to the users and to the username and click on Library.

Once in Library click on Application Support. The Adium folder is inside that. Once in Adium click on Users then Default then logs. If there are more than one user account I guess you open each one and look for Logs.

That should do it for you.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.