Upgrading Hard drive in White Mac Book 2009

Reaction score
Hi

I currently have a White Mac Book 13 inch early 2009 model with a 160 GB SATA Disk running MAC OS X Lion 10.7.5. I am fast running out of space and have saw a 1 TB hard drive that I think should fit. What I would like to know is how to copy my current hard drive to the new one. A step by step guide would be great as I have never attempted anything like this before.

Thx

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Use Carbon Copy Cloner or Super Duper.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
New hard drive in an external caddy ~ Firewire would be quickest. When it appears in Disk Utility format Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and into Partition, make sure one single partition selected and under Options GUID is selected.

Then do as Nick suggests with cloning software and reboot holding down the Option key. You should see the external drive, select and boot from it. If all is well, shutdown, open the MB and remove the current drive, pop in new one and old drive into caddy for your backup drive. Suggest getting a new SATA cable as sometimes they become very brittle and changing drive can fracture the cable.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.