Adding a second Menu bar

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, OSX 10.8.3
Hi, I just joined today, I have a macbook pro running osc 10.x, and I also have an iPod. I have a mac, a windows computer and a computer running Linux. I am not very proficient, just know basic stuff on all OS's.

On my mac I have quite a few apps open at the same time, and when I open a program, a lot of the icons are hidden, and I was just wondering, is there anyway I can install a second panel and move the app icons to the panel?

Thanks for your help

jakewc2

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Im a little confused on this one . . . Does your Dock on your Mac not show ?? Thing down the bottom containing all Apps you have put in it ? Goto the  top left of screen and click on it, down to Dock and click on Turn Hiding Off, or Option + Command + D and it should show.
What OS X are you running 10.? As we have 10.4, 10.5, 10.6, 10.7 and now 10.8.
As to a second monitor there are many ways to do this. You could even use your iPod if it have iOS5 or 6 as a second monitor for your Mac.
But first we need to establish what OS you have, and what you really mean on the icons are hidden . . Im presuming your Dock isn't showing….
And welcome to the forums

Cheers

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
On my mac I have quite a few apps open at the same time, and when I open a program, a lot of the icons are hidden, and I was just wondering, is there anyway I can install a second panel and move the app icons to the panel?

I would recommend adjusting the size of your dock. Go to:

- Apple Menu
- System Preferences
- Dock
- Use the "Size" slider to adjust

With the dock adjusted smaller...more open application icons should fit.

HTH,

- Nick

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, OSX 10.8.3
Hi, sorry its taken me so long to get back to you. I am running Mac 10.8.3. I am just using one monitor on my macbook pro. I do have the dock at the bottom of the screen, but I was talking about the panel at the top of the screen, the one that shows the Drop down menus for the different programs opened and the icons for those programs. Is there any way to have a second one of those and move the icons for the programs to the second panel. Sorry if I wasnt clear.

Thank you for your replies

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Ahh OK that be the Menu Bar, and you can achieve this with a App called SecondBar.

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
As a note...... if you have that many apps running in your menu bar that they are starting to clash with Application menus you should maybe consider paring down those menu bar apps

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, OSX 10.8.3
Ok, thanks for the other replies, the last two just went by me, and I didnt understand what they meant at all....I tried the second bar, but you cant move the Icons from the first to the second bar, so that didnt really work, and it seems that is better for a second monitor from what I could make out. Very frustrating.

Maybe I am doing something wrong in how I use my mac, and look for the Icons in the Menu Bar and not the Dock......buts its what I am used to......

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Any chance of posting a screen shot?

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, OSX 10.8.3
I've taken the screen shot, but how do I add it to the forums?

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, OSX 10.8.3
Hi, just found something that might work.....
Here is the image.......there is another two Icons there that are now hidden

VfPS139.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There's not a lot you can do about that except get rid of some of the menu bar icons. Perhaps some of the ones that don't really need to be there for instant access like growl and eject. Don't recognise them all.

Reaction score
You can lose Sound, Eject, Bluetooth, Time Machine and use shorter names for Fast User Switching.
Do you REALLY need all those icons in the menu?

Oh, and you might want to read your mail. 92 thousand emails might slow Thunderbird down a little. :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Instead of all those items in the Dock, you might like to use an application launcher instead. You can give the free "Alfred" a try to see if you like starting your programs that way.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, OSX 10.8.3
Hi, thanks for all your messages, I didnt know you could get rid of the icons, as I use that more than the dock to see what i have opened I didnt even think about it, which was why i asked about the second menu bar......so I have had to learn something new.....thank you.

I will give the application launcher a go and see how I get on with it......how do I get rid of those Icons on the Panel?

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, OSX 10.8.3
Ok, I seem to recall I have seen something like that in Ubuntu, and I can use that.......will try the free option first to see how I get on with it.......I am self taught, and just know the basics for mac.......and Linux, but I ;earn something every time I use them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Most items on the menu bar have a right-click menu with options to remove from the bar or you can remove them from login items in users and accounts in System preferences

Reaction score
I will give the application launcher a go and see how I get on with it......how do I get rid of those Icons on the Panel?

Or just command-drag them off the menu.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, OSX 10.8.3
Or just command-drag them off the menu.

Ah, now that is something else I didnt know you could do, if I had used that, could I have moved some of the Icons to the second Menu Bar?Or would they just disappear?

Thank you

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.