Spaces 'snaps back'

Reaction score
Hi,

I've got a MacBook Pro (late 2011) running Mountain Lion (10.8.3).

I often have 3 spaces running together typically with a word document or browser window in each. I find sometimes that when I try to switch to a different space (either by keyboard, touch pad or using expose), OS X brings up the new space but then immediately 'snaps back' to the old one. The only way to stop this occurring seems to be to delete the space and set it up again which is frustrating.

Any help appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
I get that too. What do you mean by "delete the Space"?

It happens to me when I open a document. My Finder windows are in a different Space. If I'm recalling correctly, the document will appear briefly, then the Finder window will pop back up. Yeah, I know that I had just intentionally switched to that Space, but when I open a file, I want to see that file, not the folder it came from!

I've never tried to figure out how to stop this from happening. This is just an empathy post. ;)

Reaction score
I've been having this problem as well on Lion; I usually have 4-5 spaces open at once, and until recently, they've been switching between one another and rearranging themselves wildly without my say-so.

For this problem (switching back to another space automatically, without user input), I found a resource on Stack Exchange that explains why this happens, and how to fix it.

Under Settings->Mission Control, there's an option that says "When switching to an application, switch to a space with open windows for the application"

To the best of my knowledge, the following details what action will switch to an application, with the option checked/unchecked.
  • Checked:
    • Alt-Tab
    • Click on Dock
    • Click in Launchpad
    • Switch to empty space (snaps to active Finder window, usually)
  • Unchecked
    • Click in Dock
    • Click in Launchpad

Reaction score
Born in Brooklyn, bred in Manhattan, living in VT
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Mid-2011 27”: MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2017) MacOS 12.2.1: iPad Pro (12.9”) (4th Gen) iPadOS 15.
Et Al: Make sure the following option is unchecked. If this is checked, then your open apps will dynamically change the spaces they are in, dependent on which you are using most often on that login-session. ...

System Preferences/Mission Control/Automatically rearrange spaces based on recent use

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.