Dropdown list

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" rMBP 2014, 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD, 2.6GHz i5
When i activate a dropdown list by clicking it, whenever I press a letter, T for example, it never goes to the first T in the list, it just stays on whatever the first is, usually 'Select'.

if i move manually to any item in the list, and then press T, it goes back to the default item in the list.

How can I use the keyboard letters to jump to the first item in the list?

Also, how can I use the tab button, when an item is highlited, to actually select that item. At the minute, I have to physically click the item to select the item, rather than a keyboard shortcut...

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Need to tell us what drop down list - all of them work as you are describing by default here.

Except, tab has never been used, on any OS that I'm aware of, to select an item. Tab is used to move between items (or fields). You would press Enter (return) to select the highlighted item.

OP
imfromwales
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" rMBP 2014, 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD, 2.6GHz i5
Sorry, I mean a dropdown list on the internet, specifically through Chrome.

going to your statement about tab never being used on any OS, i presume you mean OS X as in windows, pressing tab automatically selects the highlighted field in a dropdown list and then procedes to whatever field is next...

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Sorry, but I have never seen Windows "select" an item when using the tab button.

Don't use Chrome - use Safari and Firefox... Most often I run into the field to select a 'State' and pressing a T indeed moves to Tennessee in both those browsers where I then have to arrow down to Texas. Tab does not "select" Texas "and" move to the next field. Have to press "enter" to make the selection and then tab to the next field. That's the same method as I recall it (although, I am getting a little senile) on both my XP and Win7 machines.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.