Retrieving data from broken external HDD

Reaction score
Hi
I recently dropped my external 3TB USB3 Seagate hard drive on the floor. Now when I plug it into my MacBook Pro it does not mount and I can't see it in Finder. The disk is formatted to Mac OS Extended Journaled. However, I can see the disk in Disk Utility.

Clicking 'Verify Disk' shows: Error: This disk needs to be repaired
Clicking 'Repair Disk' shows: Error: Disk Utility can’t repair this disk. Back up as many of your files as possible, reformat the disk, and restore your backed-up files.

I can format the hard drive though, indicating to me that hard drive is still working, but something data for reading the disk is missing (although I'm not an expert).

Basically I was wondering if there is any way to get all the data off the hard drive so I could format it so it works properly again? I thought of using recovery programs but I don't think the files are actually deleted and also I would really like to keep the folder organisation and file names (which recovery programs do not).

Thanks in advance

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Your only hope of extracting data from the drive is to use recovery software. Data Rescue 3 is one of the best and it does keep the folder and file structure if possible. It's $99 US but you can download a trial version to see how well it does on recovery.

Harry types faster than me! ;)

OP
S
Reaction score
I bought Data Rescue 3 and I recovered all my files, some without folder structure but at least I got them.

I still have a problem with the hard drive though because I tried formatting it using Disk Utility so it would actually mount by I get this message:
Volume Erase failed with the error: File system formatter failed.

I didn't really know what this means so I tried partitioning the hard drive using the GUID partition but that didn't work either.

Do you know how I can format it again so it works or what the problem is? Are there any other formatting programs which I can use? Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Honestly, that drive is probably not worth fooling with anymore. It will only give you more trouble in the future. Dig up your receipt and contact Seagate. Ask for a RMA (Seagate warrants their drives for 3 years.). Seagate should then authorize a return on the drive and send you a replacement for free. I'm not sure about the postage and handling but I believe Seagate will pay one way. (back to them)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
As chscag says toss it. You can bet your last dollar it will fail again and again.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice guys. I've sent it back to seagate to get a replacement as it does seem the easiest option.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.