Probs with header code in iWeb

D

digital_blue

Well, I've done some searching and turned up nothing, so I'm hoping someone has an answer for me.

I recently got iWeb and created a site with it. I am not using a .mac account. I run the site on a different host, so I am using the "Publish to folder" function. The help files claim that this should work, but I came upon a really goofy problem that, if not resolved, will put a serious wrench in my efforts to find a clean, easy web design app.

Once I've created the pages and publish to a folder, I FTP the whole site up to my host. Immediately I get a "parse error" on line 1 of *every* page. I looked at the html code on the pages and every page generated has the same first line:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

Now, best I can figure, the "?" is causing my server to expect PHP code (though I could be way off on this, my knowledge is a bit sketchy on this stuff... thus... iWeb :) ). I found that if I remove that top line from *every* html page generated by iWeb, then upload the files, it works just fine (www.locksport.com is the site I'm working on). However, this extra step totally negates the benefits I'd hoped to gain from using iWeb. As it stands, the publish to folder option is far less appealing than if they would just allow me to publish directly to my host via FTP, but I can live with the small step of having to manually upload. But if I have to edit every html file manually every single time I make a change, I've lost the beauty of iWeb.

I figure I can't be the only one to have experienced this. Any ideas?

Thanks!

db

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15" 2ghz/2GB/250gb/SD - White Macbook 2.16ghz/2.5GB/250GB/SD

To me that tells me that its trying to create it in a .xml format. I dont use iWeb to build sites, but all the sites I have ever done show this as my first line.

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">

When I create a .xml file in Dreamweaver 8, I get this as my first line

Might be worth checking out. Find out what its trying to create a .xml file for.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.