Notes sync help sought...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
Until recently my wife and I each had an iPhone and shared an iPad. My wife added Notes onto her iPhone which synced onto the Ipad. All well and good.

However, and probably caused when setting were changed in an effort to control the battery life following 6.1.3 update, the Notes on her phone have disappeared, but still appear on the iPad.

So, Question 1, can someone please advise how to get the Notes back onto the iPhone. Simple instructions please - and assume no knowledge of syncing. We just want the Notes put on the phone, nothing else.

Question 2. My wife now has her own iPad, so we'd like her phone and IPad to sync (Notes/contacts/reminders (NOT photos though!) Again, simple instructions?

Question 3. When that's all sorted I'd like my iPad (the one that was shared) and iPhone to sync - presumably same as answer to Question 2 but I do not want the Notes presently on the iPad to sync with my phone - I want them to disappear. Manual delete?

We each have our own Apple ID's and my iPhone currently syncs Contacts & Calendar with my iMac which I do not want to screw up in any way as I've come to rely on these greatly.

Thanks in anticipation...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Question 1:
Objective: get notes from old iPad to wifes iPhone
On both devices go to Settings - General - iCloud
Which Apple ID is listed under Account? (hopefully hers 0 if not jump to the end)
If so, ensure that on this she is logged into this same account on the iPhone.
On the iCloud page ensure that Only Notes is set to On

Syncing should be almost immediate but you can switch airplane mode on, then off again to prompt a refresh of the connection.

Question 2:
Objective: Sync wifes iPhone to new iPad.
Assuming all went ok with Question 1, your wifes iPhone now has the notes and presumably her contacts and reminders.
Log out of iCloud on the old iPad
On her new iPad log into iCloud use her Apple ID (Settings - General - iCloud)
On both of her devices set Notes, contacts, reminders to ON (I'd suggest switching Safari and calendars too but that's personal preference).
This will now sync here iPhone and her iPad with her iCloud Account/AppleID

Question 3:
Objective: sync old iPad and your iPhone.
I would do a full reset myself (Settings - General - Reset - Erase all contents and settings)
But, just changing the iCloud Account to use your Apple ID would be sufficient to remove the notes (providing that the AppleID/iCloud account in step 1 belongs to your wife)

The End - i.e. it's your iCloud account on the iPad in Question 1.
If this is the case the notes belong to your account and I'll have to have a rethink.

OP
Sawday
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
Excellent - could not have hoped for a clearer answer. Will get onto this over the weekend and report back.

One general query re syncing though. If one device has, say, notes and one doesn't how does the OS know whether you want the items copied to the device with none or deleted from the one that has the notes? If both have the same notes and you delete one from one device, presumably it knows to delete this from the other device, not copy the note from the second device to the one you have just deleted it from. Just curious.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
When devices sync in this way every device gets everything, that's what the cloud sync process is trying to achieve.

Deletions are only cascaded when an item is marked for deletion. When setting up initially clashes are highlighted to you and a prompt to merge or delete will be given. From that point onwards deletions on any device will be cascaded to all other devices.

OP
Sawday
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
At long last, after several trips away from home, I found time when all iphones and ipads were available for syncing. Wasn't quite straightforward as the Notes were linked to her apple ID email not her new iCloud email (and it didn't help that while trying to sort this out we ended up with both a me.com and icloud.com email accounts). Eventually we got the account sorted but had to manually transfer the notes from one account on the ipad to the icloud account, delete the me.com email from the phone and create the correct icloud one.
Got my iphone and ipad synced in the same manner and all is now sorted.

So, thank you Mrplow and to the various contributors to Apple support forums.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Glad you got sortedc:)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.