iPhone 5 Problem?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid '10 MacBook Pro, 128GB iPhone 6, 160GB iPod Classic, 32GB iPad 4th Gen, AirPort Extreme, AppleTV
Hi, I'm not sure if this is normal, but I don't think so. Ever since I got my iPhone 5, the screen after the lock screen where you type in your 4 digit pin doesn't fill the whole display. When I'm looking at the keypad screen to unlock it, there is a 1/4 inch blank (black) part at the bottom. It actually cuts short the bottom row of the keypad where the "Emergency Call, 0, and Cancel" buttons are located. I just want to know if anyone else has seen this, and if it's something I should contact Apple about.

Many thanks!

Lefty

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Hard reset (holding sleep/wake & home until the phone reboots)

Does the issue remain?

Does this par of the screen work elsewhere e.g.in apps?

OP
Lefty Loco
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid '10 MacBook Pro, 128GB iPhone 6, 160GB iPod Classic, 32GB iPad 4th Gen, AirPort Extreme, AppleTV
Thanks, mrplow. I tried the hard reset and the issue remains. This issue has also remained through the few iOS updates I've installed since having the phone. As far as I can tell, the lock keypad screen is the only place it does this. Everything else, apps, Internet, etc., seems fine.

Wait, oh my. I feel pretty silly now. I just discovered its because the picture I had for the lock screen was a bit short and didn't fill the screen. I swear it looked like the buttons were cut in half. Sorry to waste your time! Thanks so much for the help!

There is however one other thing that still concerns me. My home button does not seem entirely responsive. Probably 50% of the time, my first press does not register and I have to give it a second press before I get a response. I suppose this could be attributed the the OtterBox, but not sure. I never had the issue with previous versions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Sometimes it's the simplest solutions that evade us :)

As for the home button. The answer is to try without the case.

Make sure you have no accessibility options enabled that modify home button use.

If the issue still persists then it's time to take it to an apple store or to your provider for repair/exchange

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.