Is apple the way to go?

T

tilly

Hi, First post.

Ok, i currently have a pc and well, the big grey box is kinda getting me down. apart from primary school when i used an old mac i have never used one, not even messed about on one in pc world. i've upgraded my pc once, and well i dont really want to spend another £500+ upgrading again. i used to play loads of games on the pc but have stoped now because i have a xbox 360, and i'd much rather play on a 360 than pc. so all i really use my pc for is chatting to friends, downloading and listening to music.
Im also doing a home collage course to be a website design manager. i havent started use'in my macromedia tools yet, but when i do, i'd rather do it on a mac since.......its the pro way of doing it? i like to mess around with a digi cam aswell and would like the ability to edit photo's(one day maybe) the pro way?
I say the 'pro way' because everytime i have ever bought a website design magazine, they all use mac's, and everytime i look in my dad's adobe photoshop books again they all use mac's.

i've had so many theme's and shell things on my pc to make it look like a mac, and i just love it, but i want the real thing. i've tried some linux's too but they didnt tickle my fancy.

i've been looking at the imac 2ghz intel dule core one. would this be a good enough mac to start with and also get me started web designing in the future?

One last question. Years ago i wanted a mac, but my friend said "Noooo dont get one of them, you will regret it" he said that pc's take about 2 mins to start up because they load everything up for you, but when u turn on a mac, its on straight away but nothings loaded up. u have to load everything up yourself.

this means nothing to me at all, can anyone shed any light on this?

cheers for any info.

hoping to swap over....

.Mike.

OP
N

NowI'mNothing

lets put it this way.....

i owned a pc for 10 years, and now, i kringe when i have to work on one. luckily, i don't have to do that often.

a little metaphor for you: PC is the Ford of computer, while Macs are the Mercedes Benz

OP
T

tilly

NowI'mNothing said:
lets put it this way.....

i owned a pc for 10 years, and now, i kringe when i have to work on one. luckily, i don't have to do that often.

a little metaphor for you: PC is the Ford of computer, while Macs are the Mercedes Benz

cheers, just what i wanted to hear.

Reaction score
i recommend switching i did and will never look back...ever since i got my g5 imac this have been great. I don't even use my pc anymore. Poor thing sits next to the imac and gets no love. But i did put my apple stickers on my pc.
switching is a move you won't regret. :miner:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook G4 12 inch running mac os 10.4 with: 60 gb HD+256 mb ram+Radeon 9200
NowI'mNothing said:
PC is the Ford of computer, while Macs are the Mercedes Benz

No better conparison!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
I drive a Ford... and I happen to like it very much. Suits my needs just fine.

OP
N

NowI'mNothing

D3v1L80Y said:
I drive a Ford... and I happen to like it very much. Suits my needs just fine.

well sure, my saturn fits my needs as well, but that doesn't mean i wouldn't like to be driving a mercedes right now if i could. hopefully some day.

luckily, i can afford macs, and i don't have to fit my needs with a pc.

Reaction score
I have to say that I hate this comparison, surely Macs are a Aston Martin whilst a PC is a Bus?

I have had notihng but problems with Mercedes Benz and would never dare compare my wonderful Mac to the problem laden Mercedes!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Smartz said:
I have to say that I hate this comparison, surely Macs are a Aston Martin whilst a PC is a Bus?

I have had notihng but problems with Mercedes Benz and would never dare compare my wonderful Mac to the problem laden Mercedes!
That is the whole point, you can't use the tired "car analogy" with computers.
Outside of both being computers, there really isn't a good or fair analogy for Macs and PCs.

OP
N

NowI'mNothing

lets not turn my comparison in to a scientific study.
i was just trying to get the point across of macs superiority performance when compared to a pc.

i think he got the point...and if he didn't, i apologize.

OP
T

tilly

lol ye i got it. cheers. its just a matter of time for me to save some money so i can go get one. cant wait! selling pc within 2 weeks. i hope to have it within febuary 13-19

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
tilly said:
lol ye i got it. cheers. its just a matter of time for me to save some money so i can go get one. cant wait! selling pc within 2 weeks. i hope to have it within febuary 13-19

Honestly, they're about the same. OS X looks and feels nicer and is generally more stable; XP is more mainstream. If you put some effort into learning how either one works, you'll be able to run them both trouble-free. With that said, Macs are the least hassle of the two. I have a G4 Cube and a Gateway laptop and both are great. My Mac, however, needs hardly any attention to keep running; I perform daily maintenance tasks on the Gateway in order to ensure that it runs well.

One factor in deciding on a system is personal tastes. It's better to get something that you personally want to play with. I love having my Cube on my desk and I enjoy playing with OS X. I like showing it off to people. I like how easy it is to use and how little maintenance I have to do to it. As a result, I like working with it more. Besides, what would you rather have sitting on your desk, this or this? :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Intel Core solo Mac mini 1.5GHz, Headless Powerbook G4 500MHz
kaidomac said:
Honestly, they're about the same. OS X looks and feels nicer and is generally more stable; XP is more mainstream. If you put some effort into learning how either one works, you'll be able to run them both trouble-free. With that said, Macs are the least hassle of the two. I have a G4 Cube and a Gateway laptop and both are great. My Mac, however, needs hardly any attention to keep running; I perform daily maintenance tasks on the Gateway in order to ensure that it runs well.

One factor in deciding on a system is personal tastes. It's better to get something that you personally want to play with. I love having my Cube on my desk and I enjoy playing with OS X. I like showing it off to people. I like how easy it is to use and how little maintenance I have to do to it. As a result, I like working with it more. Besides, what would you rather have sitting on your desk, this or this? :)
The Imac! lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP (Mid-2015), 2.8 Ghz i7, 16GB DDR3, AMD M370X Gfx, 1 TB SSD
I wouldn't drive a Mercedes... they don't come in standard.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.