Quickly add a number of mp3s to a playlist

Reaction score
In Windows I could select a number of mp3s in explorer, right click and add to media player, and I'd have a playlist from those mp3s, how can I do the same with iTunes on Mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac (Mid 2011), 3.4GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB RAM, 2GB Video Card, 2TB HDD
The closest way I can think of is to just open iTunes and create a new playlist, then drag the files on your computer into that playlist. It'll add them.

OP
D
Reaction score
Yeah I know about that, not quite so convenient as the Windows way. Also does iTunes make a copy of mp3s when you add them to a playlist? I added some mp3s from an external drive and they somehow got copied over to my Mac's internal drive.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
To avoid iTunes making copies of files that are stored on external drives, go to Preferences and uncheck the option that deals with "Copying files" or something..can't remember the exact name, but it's in there. That way iTunes will add the file to the library but not make a local copy of it..

As far as playlists, well iTunes does what iTunes does..:)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.