Mac Pro Multple Graphics Card Question.

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I'm using a Mac Pro with two graphics cards installed, a Nivida, and a ATI, and my question is, is there anyway to tell the Mac Pro witch one to use, without rebooting and switching my DVI cable between the two.

Thanks,
Steve

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hi Guys,

I'm using a Mac Pro with two graphics cards installed, a Nivida, and a ATI, and my question is, is there anyway to tell the Mac Pro witch one to use, without rebooting and switching my DVI cable between the two.

Which video card is used...is totally controlled by the monitor that is plugged into the card/cards. If you have two video cards...and only one monitor. Then that monitor can only work via the video card it is plugged into.

If you want a choice of which video card to use...then plug one monitor into each video card. Then depending on what you want to do...work on the monitor that is plugged into the video card you want to work with.

- Nick

OP
W
Reaction score
Which video card is used...is totally controlled by the monitor that is plugged into the card/cards. If you have two video cards...and only one monitor. Then that monitor can only work via the video card it is plugged into.

- Nick

Well this doesn't seem completely true, when I'm plugged in to my ATI card I can still select to use my Nivida card for rendering and cuda use. So I was wondering if I could tell it to use the Nivida for other uses such as gaming etc.

Thanks,
Steve

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Well this doesn't seem completely true, when I'm plugged in to my ATI card I can still select to use my Nivida card for rendering and cuda use. So I was wondering if I could tell it to use the Nivida for other uses such as gaming etc.

You can select and tell the nVidia whatever you wish, but if you don't have a monitor plugged into its output, how are you going to see the results? In other words, what Nick told is right on the money.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Like chscag mentioned (and I referred indirectly to above)...if you don't have a monitor plugged into that Nvidia card for rendering & cuda use...how are you going to see what you're doing??:Confused:

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
By the way...maybe I misunderstood your original question. I assumed that someone wants to "see" what they're doing on the computer. So if your monitor is plugged into the ATI card...then there's no way to "see" what the Nvidia card is doing without a monitor plugged into it.

And if the monitor is plugged into the ATI card...there is no way to "switch" to the Nvidia card (to see what's going on)...without unplugging the monitor from the ATI card...and plugging the monitor into the Nvidia card.

- Nick

OP
W
Reaction score
Okay, I was thinking there may be a way because I know with the Macbook Pro's you can switch between graphics cards, then its also confusing because I can select to use my Nivida to render with Blender, (when I'm plugged into my ATI), so in a way I am seeing what my Nivida is doing while I render without plugging into it.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Okay, I was thinking there may be a way because I know with the Macbook Pro's you can switch between graphics cards...

MacBook Pro's and a desktop Mac Pro are TOTALLY different animals when it comes to the graphics cards.

Firstly...in a MacBook Pro the "two" graphics cards are:

- a low power integrated one (low processing power & low energy)...to conserve battery power when running off the battery
- a higher power dedicated one (higher processing power & higher energy needs)...will really drain the battery fast

Secondly...only one of the "two" graphics cards/selections can be used at once in a MacBook Pro.

Thirdly...the MacBook Pro only has one display (of course you can plug in an external as well)...but everything runs off of the same graphics card (whichever one is chosen)

In a desktop Mac Pro...you can have up to 4 graphics cards...and run up to 8 monitors simultaneously. AND...each monitor is plugged into a specific graphics card...and that monitor can only show output from the card that it is plugged into.

So again...there is no point in comparing laptops & desktops in this situation...since they are totally different "animals"!;)

- Nick

OP
W
Reaction score
So again...there is no point in comparing laptops & desktops in this situation...since they are totally different "animals"!;)

- Nick

Thanks, kinda figured that.;) but that doesn't explain my previous question:

"I can select to use my Nivida to render with Blender, (when I'm plugged into my ATI), so in a way I am seeing what my Nivida is doing while I render without plugging into it."

Thanks,
Steve

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
"I can select to use my Nivida to render with Blender, (when I'm plugged into my ATI), so in a way I am seeing what my Nivida is doing while I render without plugging into it."

I think that we already covered this above.:)

- Nick

OP
W
Reaction score
if you don't have a monitor plugged into that Nvidia card for rendering & cuda use...how are you going to see what you're doing??:Confused:
- Nick

This is what I'm confused by, you say there's no way to see what my Nivida card is doing when its not plugged into, but I can see what its doing, when I do projects like rendering. So if I can see my Nivida card in action as it renders video, I thought there may be a way to use it for other jobs as well without plugging a monitor into it?

Thanks,
Steve

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
You are not going to be able to use a specific video card to play a game and see that game on screen while the only monitor is physically attached to a different video card.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This is what I'm confused by, you say there's no way to see what my Nivida card is doing when its not plugged into, but I can see what its doing, when I do projects like rendering. So if I can see my Nivida card in action as it renders video, I thought there may be a way to use it for other jobs as well without plugging a monitor into it?

Maybe it would help if you described for us the exact hardware setup you have. The computer, the monitor(s), etc.

Also what software you have installed.

- Nick

OP
W
Reaction score
Maybe it would help if you described for us the exact hardware setup you have. The computer, the monitor(s), etc.

Also what software you have installed.

- Nick

I'm using a Mac Pro 2009, with a Samsung Syncmaster 19in, I have two video cards, one ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT 256 MB, and one Nivida GTX 570 2560 MB, I have my display plugged into my ATI at this time, but can still render video with Blender, using the Nivida. So I guess my understanding is I can only use a different video card if the software gives you the option?

Thanks,
Steve

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
...I have my display plugged into my ATI at this time, but can still render video with Blender, using the Nivida. So I guess my understanding is I can only use a different video card if the software gives you the option?

It sounds to me that this "Blender" application allows you to choose which video card to use for rendering (the Nvidia card in this case)...even though the video signal you are actually seeing on your monitor is coming from your ATI card. If this is the case...this is a very uncommon feature.

The bottom line is...what you can actually see on your monitor is TOTALLY controlled by which video card it is plugged into.

For example...if you wanted to play a game with the Nvidia card (and your monitor was plugged into the ATI card)...you would either need to unplug the monitor from the ATI card & plug it into the Nvidia card. Or...plug a 2nd monitor into the Nvidia card.

- Nick

OP
W
Reaction score
Okay Thanks Guys! I guess it just depends on the App, don't quote me on this, but I'm pretty sure you can use Cuda with some Adobe Apps without being connected to the Nivida card via monitor.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac (Mid 2011), 3.4GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB RAM, 2GB Video Card, 2TB HDD
Yeah most workstation towers (i.e. the Mac Pro) have multiple graphics cards slots because a lot of pro apps use what's called nodes and hardware acceleration. Graphics cards are very good at rendering things such as HD video, 3D animation, etc. They're MUCH faster than the CPU which is what these apps would use in a more consumer orientated computer.

Hardware acceleration and nodes are able to use multiple GPU's (or in some cases, multiple computers altogether) in tandem with one another to display an image by nodeing out the multitude of tasks needed to display a fully rendered 3D character in Maya for example across multiple graphics cards so that one alone won't bear the burden by itself. The result is much faster render times. Although multiple graphics cards are bringing that 3D character to life inside the computer, only one card is needed to display the result of it on the monitor - the one your monitor is physically connected to.

Problem is that while games obviously support hardware acceleration, they don't however support nodes to divide it across multipile pieces of hardware so whatever card your monitor is connected to is the one that you're gonna see the performance of on the screen. Nodes is a feature only really seen in the professional applications field (Photoshop, Final Cut, Logic, Maya, etc).

When your hear about people gaming on multiple graphics cards, they're talking about something like this:
Radeon HD 7990 Dual GPU - Graphic solutions GeForce & Radeon

That is two graphics cards rolled into one. It uses only 1 PCI slot on the mother/logicboard and one monitor can get the net result of both cards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.