Install Disc Won't run Disc Utilities

Reaction score
I'm on a powerMac running 10.6.8...it's been buggy lately and i tried to run disc utilities from the install disc, but its greyed out and can't select it. Any help would be appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

Well no you are not running Snow Leopard if this is a PowerMac.

All powermacs, G3, G4 and G5's are PowerPC architecture and Snow Leopard installs only on an Intel machine. How about posting the exact precise model and if it is an Intel machine running Snow Leopard you need to boot from the DVD to run Disk Uitility from there for Repair Disk.

OP
S
Reaction score
apologies

Sorry for the confusion i tried to edit and say Mac pro before thread went out but was too slow. New to this. My apologies again. Here are my machine specs.

Model Name: Mac Pro
Model Identifier: MacPro4,1
Processor Name: Quad-Core Intel Xeon
Processor Speed: 2.93 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 8 MB
Memory: 16 GB

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
So to be sure, you are booting from the OSX 10.6 DVD and Disk Utility is grayed out in the menu once you get to the installer?

OP
S
Reaction score
Exactly, the most frustrating thing. I've tried both discs just to make sure and nothing happens with the apps disc obviously. My only choices are back up and restart.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It sounds like you're not using the correct install disk set. Are you sure these disks are the ones that came with your Mac Pro from Apple? According to Mactracker, your Mac Pro shipped with Leopard 10.5.6. Unless that Snow Leopard DVD is a retail version, it's not going to work right.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Interesting though that disk utility is grayed out. I can see it not installing if it's a Gray DVD but I would think DU would at least let you run it. When I have been in a hurry and just needed DU or the reset password thing, I have grabbed any old OSX dvd and shoved it in and I swear DU has worked.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
When you say 'both discs' are these the precise discs that came with the Mac Pro when brand new? Some models had Leopard and others Snow Leopard as the original operating system.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.