iPAD, iMac, AppleTV 2 wired connection

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
n/a
Hello everyone.
I've read and read technical details about this but don't fully understand it all so i thought i'd ask on here.
I've successfully connected my AppleTV2 to my iMac through homeplugs and ethernet cables. I can now access my movies through iTunes on my TV...great.
I am now going to buy an ipad mini for the aim of being able to mirror what is on the ipad onto my tv. Now....I downloaded Mountain Lion for my mac hoping i could mirror.....however I didn't check properly that this would work.....it doesn't as my imac is mid 2008 :(
So, my question is, with my existing setup (with wifi switched off) can i connect the ipad (wired) to my wired network and use the ipad to access my pics/movies/music off my imac? and maybe watch catchup tv through a browser on the ipad and mirror it to the tv?

I hope this makes sense (I'm typing and getting lost at the same time??!??!)
Many thanks in advance
Craig....with a headache.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010
Not only you, people reading your post may get headaches.
To make life easier. I understand you have imac , tv, apple tv2 and TV. And planning to buy ipad mini. You can connect apple tv with Ipad mini to mirror wireless thru WIFI on your TV.
Also you can use Imac to back up your ipad by connecting required cable.
Hope this helps.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
So, my question is, with my existing setup (with wifi switched off) can i connect the ipad (wired) to my wired network and use the ipad to access my pics/movies/music off my imac?
Aside from syncing content to and from an iPad and charging it, the device itself has absolutely no wired capabilities - it's a wholly wireless device (indeed, this is the purpose of tablets). Thus, you can't connect to a wired network unless a wireless signal from it is being broadcast.

If you can't use AirPlay, there are a variety of solutions here. As noted though, you'll need a wireless network.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
n/a
ycl1688/Vansmith :) I've read it back to myself and yes, I get an headache. Thanks for your replies. You've answered my questions.
I should have really just asked "Can my iPad mini connect to my wired network?"
I get it now. Thanks again

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.