Constant momentary alert popups - malware?

Reaction score
Hello all, I've tried to search past threads for some guidance on my issue but I can't quite determine what the proper nomenclature to describe what's happening.

This morning, I installed some software updates on OSX that required restart. IIRC, it was updates to Safari, HP printer drivers, and Java. I booted over to Windows for a bit and then back to OSX.

Now, regardless of which application I'm in, every 5-7 seconds a momentary alert box pops up and then instantly closes, stealing focus from whatever window I'm in for a fraction of a second, and perhaps eats a single keystroke or an open drop-down menu before the window gets closed.

This reeks of malware to me, since alert windows don't typically close themselves. Please let me know if I should post Activity Monitor screencaps or whatever else might be useful for more info, I simply don't know how to proceed since I've never run across anything like this in 8 years of OSX use.

OP
P
Reaction score
I've disabled all Java runtimes, downloaded ClamXav but could use some insight on where to scan. If there's a place where popup alerts are logged, that would do a lot to give me something more to work with.

The alert boxes have the yellow alert triangle and seem to be in response to a process crashing. I'm now going to start just killing processes in Activity Monitor to try and isolate it.

UPDATE: I've removed all startup items from my admin account and the popup continues. I even log into another account that I've hardly ever used on this machine and the popup continues.

UPDATE 2: Finally pointed a 60fps video camera at my screen and got a frame of the popup.
395Q1aG.png
Do you want the application "java" to accept incoming network connections? Clicking deny... etc etc

Seems sketchy since I disabled both Java runtime environments hours ago. Blocking all incoming connections in Firewall has stopped the popups. However, I would like to get this process off of my machine. I am fairly convinced that it's not Java. I can't find java.app anywhere on my drive, so is there a way to reverse search for programs based on their name?

Reaction score
Run /Applications/Utilities/Console and peek around in the logs for anything strange. There should be something related.

OP
P
Reaction score
Googling around with the alert message led me to this thread:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3804051?start=0&tstart=0

And to this blog article:

How to allow java in the firewall on OS X Mountain Lion | Tech Blog (wh)

I feel pretty confident that this will solve the issue for me. I'm running a repair permissions now and a lot of corrections are coming up in /sys/lib/frameworks/Java*. I'm going to leave this thread here though, since this is a tough problem to Google for and hopefully anyone else that develops it and finds this thread can get themselves to the answers.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.