Alternative to Fireworks or photoshop

Reaction score
Hi

I am a web designer

I would like to buy an app for MAC, similar to Fireworks or photoshop.

I know that the Adobe programs are unbeatable, but can you suggest me good app for editing images and creating web design stuff?

Thanks a lot!!!

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
+1 for Pixelmator. It is getting great reviews across the tech feeds. Some even lauding it as a complete Photoshop replacement. If you are used to Photoshop, Pixelmator should be very easy to step into.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
+1 for Pixelmator, its a great app and that's coming from someone who uses PhotoShop for a living

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Gimp is free and a bit more complicated to learn to use. It, however, does have a lot of features that match PS. Pixelmator has a much more polished look..

Try gimp out and if it doesn't work for you, go with PoxelMator.

Reaction score
Can Pixelmator do RGB to CMYK colour conversion and other pro stuff like that...? I recently had to let my PS go and I have been struggling with Gimp.. Its ok but just so not user friendly. I have plenty of artwork and the printing service I use, print24, require all files in CMYK to guarantee good results.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Can Pixelmator do RGB to CMYK colour conversion and other pro stuff like that...? I recently had to let my PS go and I have been struggling with Gimp.. Its ok but just so not user friendly. I have plenty of artwork and the printing service I use, print24, require all files in CMYK to guarantee good results.

Last time I checked it didn't but there are work arounds to get files into CMYK.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3

Last time I checked it didn't but there are work arounds to get files into CMYK.

Yes there are and you can do this by Opening the Image with ColorSync Utility in the Applications>Utilities Folder and then using the drop down Menus at the bottom of the window. Quick and simple. Just tried it and works Look at below image

EDIT : Pxelmator does now have CMYK support as outlined in this article Pixelmator Adds New Color Profile Management and CMYK Support

In the digital world, colors can be defined in many ways, and when it comes to precision, a feature called Soft Proofing comes in handy. Soft Proofing lets you quickly apply different color profiles to your images so you can get an idea of how the outcome, such as the printed image, might look. That's right, CMYK lovers, now you can preview and work in CMYK colors.

On top of that, thanks to the sRGB standard, the image colors inside Pixelmator will also look better. The sRGB color standard is widely used on most devices you come across every day, such as digital cameras, scanners, or even your iPhone. This means that the colors of images you edit in Pixelmator will look absolutely perfect outside Pixelmator and across all of your Apple devices.

That should keep em happy as it seemed like there was a lot of people out there wanting this. Color Perfect Pixelmator 2.1.3

Screen Shot 2013-05-25 at 8.37.48 AM.png

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Yes there are and you can do this by Opening the Image with ColorSync Utility in the Applications>Utilities Folder and then using the drop down Menus at the bottom of the window. Quick and simple. Just tried it and works Look at below image

EDIT : Pxelmator does now have CMYK support as outlined in this article Pixelmator Adds New Color Profile Management and CMYK Support

That should keep em happy as it seemed like there was a lot of people out there wanting this. Color Perfect Pixelmator 2.1.3

Yeah me included. XD

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.