Help please

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I have a few questions for those of you who know and understand laptops better than I do. I have a macbook that completely shut off. The Keyboard lights would still come on when I was trying to turn it on but the screen just stays black. Anyways.. I want to sell the laptop to someone who wants to try and fix it up. My question is how do I get my information off the computer if I can't turn it on? I assume selling a laptop without a harddrive makes it pretty **** worthless. Sorry guys I don't have much knowledge on this. If anyone could help me out I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

Ernest

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Remove the hard drive from the MacBook, place it in a USB carrier and attach it to another computer and erase it. You can even use a PC as long as you no longer need the data that's on the drive. If you need the data that's on the drive, again place it in a USB carrier and then copy your data from it to another Mac.

OP
E
Reaction score
Thanks so much chscag! So I do that and there is nothing left on the computer right? The Hard drive stores every and all information?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Thanks so much chscag! So I do that and there is nothing left on the computer right? The Hard drive stores every and all information?

That's correct. Once all data has been removed from the hard drive, nothing remains that's personal to you.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.