Powerbook vs. MacBook Pro- Worth the upgrade?

B

bcren

I'm upgrading from an iBook G4, been really looking into getting a Powerbook, but since the new MacBook Pro has come out, I was wondering if it was really worth the upgrade? I know the dual core is bit faster, but as far as functionality for a college student and my budget.. I didn't know if it was beneficial for me to do it now or get the PB and then later on upgrade to the then MacBook or whatever is out.

Just looking for people's opinions and suggestions.

Thanks!
bcren

Reaction score
Coming from another student's perspective [in terms of budget], get the PB. Reason being is as far functionality, it will be more than fine for you. My PB has never slowed down ever, so the speed of the MacBook, although better, IMO is not necessary unless you have the excess money. As far as the other upgrades, iSight and the amazing powercord, I love them. But if you're on a tight budget, the PB will be perfect for all your needs.

Now if the money was there, then I'd definately get the MacBook, and I probably will in the future, but at this point in my life, the PB is right.

Good luck, let us know what you end up with.

Good day.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook G4 12 inch running mac os 10.4 with: 60 gb HD+256 mb ram+Radeon 9200
Very little difference in my opinion if your a student.

OP
B

bcren

Thanks for the info- I'm gonna stick to the PB route. I think the MacBook Pro will be better suited for later on down the road. The speeds that the PB is @ now, plus ram upgrades should do me just fine. I've got an external LaCie drive for all my storage- w/ the student discount, fits my budget perfectly. Now if I could just find someone to buy my iBook..

Reaction score
bcren said:
The speeds that the PB is @ now, plus ram upgrades should do me just fine.
Definately. I upgraded my PB to 1GB RAM when I got it last year, and nothing has ever slowed it down. It is probalby more than I needed but I always like to have more when it comes to RAM. Good luck and good day.

Reaction score
the main difference between them two would of course be the processors.. but you are getting dual layer superdrive with the powerbook. you are getting the pcmcia card slot if you go with the 15 inch pb you do get the firewire 800.

unless you're going with the high end macbook pro.. the hd will be the same size..

i know u've already decided for the pb.. but i'm just giving you my thougts..
(hope i didnt offend anybody)

Reaction score
I would get the 15in PB with 7200 drive, I saw them at the Apple store side by side, the Macpro was quite a bit faster but I forgot to ask what drive was in the PB, I have a feeling it wasn't the 7200 that was in the MacPro

OP
B

blokie

coming from a newbie's perspective, I already posted something similar a while back, if not continued on someone's posted topic. Not to be a newbie ****, as I have no authority in the world of mac's to be, but I hate when ppl are too lazy to actually browse forums to find an answer to a question that has already been asked. Now I know this has been answered becuase I was in the same predicament; do I buy the PB or the macbook pro. And everyone politely suggested that I should wait until at least after this summer to buy the macbook as they were sure it would have some "bugs" to be worked out in it. Actually I will take the time to find my post for you to read through and I'm sure it will help you make the decision. I also just bought myself the Powerbook until the macbook pro has been consumer tested. Sorry for being the "****" but its also happened to me many times and ppl have shat on me for it. Anyways, good luck with your decision and I"ms ure you'll be happy with either purchase you make whatever it might be.

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29413

OP
A

atforce

Yes, I have a pb 15 inch with 1 gig of ram it is perfect, altough the mac books are suposed to be legendary :/. The only thign abotu the macbook is i am sure not eveyrhting is going to be out for it will tak tiem for formatters to format it.

Reaction score
My powerbook is faster than my imac G5 in many respects, I think one thing that's very important in determining whether to get a MBP or PB is what you're using it for..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.