• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

What do you (will you) call your in-laws?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
So, if you don't have in-laws, pick the answer that you think you'll use to address them. If you aren't married, but know your significant other's parents well, you'll have to comment in a post if you think how you address them would change in the event of a wedding taking place.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Main-11" Air, iPhone 6+, iPad Mini 3, Hi-Fi Extras- Too many to count
I'm not married, but I will most likely either call them by their first name or avoid using their names.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP, MacMini, iPhone 4, iPod Touch, iPad 2, AppleTV Original and a beloved Apple //e
First name basis. They're not my parents, I refuse to use the terms "mom & dad" for anyone other than MY mom & dad. I think I may have slipped and called his grandma "grandma" a few times, but I don't have a problem with that because she's a nice old lady and I already have two grandmas anyway so why not a 3rd!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Mum for the female of the inlay, and first name for the Dad. Calling mum, mum will go down well with the missus and she will see your comfortable wither and the family, and dad because thats manly to do. Thats the way i do it, even with girlfriends. I always call her mum, mum and they all love it :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
This will vary for different kinds of people. I very happily call my wife's mother "mom". It feels natural. I love her very much, and to be honest, I even like her more than my own mother. Some of us have parents whom aren't exactly the nicest people in the world, and whether or not that sounds nice, it's just the reality of it.

It also depends on how close you feel with your in-laws. Not everybody will feel that way, so just do what feels right, and don't worry so much about a title.

Doug

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
...I even like her more than my own mother. Some of us have parents whom aren't exactly the nicest people in the world, and whether or not that sounds nice, it's just the reality of it.

You know what they say..."You can pick your friends...but you can't pick your relatives!";)

I have a number of relatives I could do without!;)

- Nick

OP
toMACsh
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This will vary for different kinds of people. ...
It also depends on how close you feel with your in-laws. Not everybody will feel that way, so just do what feels right, and don't worry so much about a title.

Of course. I'm just curious what other people do. I go with the avoidance mostly, once in awhile I used the Grand route when our kids were young. Now I have a daughter-in-law, and she wanted to know how she should address me, and my wife of course. I said not "Mr. ___" for sure. So, with no grandkids, that left first name or Dad. When she writes (like in a card) she uses "Dad" - with the quotes. In person it's avoidance, which is fine.

Reaction score
Last if at all possible, second to last if my daughter is around, and by their names in polite company.

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
If it's family, I don't like. I'll probably refer to them as "those people".

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
I call my MIL "Mom" as she seems to like it best and she told me to do so once my wife and I became engaged long ago. She's 87 and I'm more interested in what makes her feel good than whatever hangups or baggage I have associated with names or salutations. We have little in common and even less to talk about, so I figure if calling her "Mom" gives some sort of satisfaction to the relationship for her, so much the better. I was raised with the whole "respect your elders" 10 commandments thing, so I'd probably call her whatever she wanted me to. ****, it's free so why not?

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
First name bases because calling them Mr. & Mrs is really way too formal. You are part of the family whether they like it or not. XD Plus they aren't your parents so I wouldn't call them mom & dad unless you are really close and your parents died or something.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2016 Macbook Pro 512g.15" 16g.ram Ipad2Air 64gb wifi+4g Iphone 6s 64gig
I regard this as a family forum, so I will not say.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP (Mid 2012) Processor 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5 - Memory 4GB 1600 MHz DDR3 - Upgrading to 16GB.
As I have respect for my elders I will call them mom and dad, My first wife was Chinese and the second was Japanese and in both cultures you call the in-laws mum and dad.

Honour and respect first in my books.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I call them by their first names, but it still feels a little awkward to me because I rarely address them that way and never took the initiative to first it out early on.

My opinion, if you still are in the early stages, is to call them Mr. and Mrs. "last name" and then let them correct you and tell you how to address them. If it's been almost 3 years like it has been for me, I have no idea, but would take the advice of others too!

OP
toMACsh
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I call them by their first names, but it still feels a little awkward to me because I rarely address them that way and never took the initiative to first it out early on.

My opinion, if you still are in the early stages, is to call them Mr. and Mrs. "last name" and then let them correct you and tell you how to address them. If it's been almost 3 years like it has been for me, I have no idea, but would take the advice of others too!

No one has voted for Mr. and Mrs. Sweetie's parents. I think perhaps that is appropriate when meeting the parents prior to or after a first date, and throughout courtship, to use an antiquated term. But once the relationship between you and this couple's offspring goes beyond the "just dating" stage, that would become awkward.

I'm at the stage that my kids have grown up and are not with us when we visit my in-laws, so the old "Grand" approach doesn't fly any more. Having never called my in-laws by their first names, I'm not about to start that now.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I guess it depends on your relationship. My mother and father in law suggested mom and dad right off the bat. And, they have been a second set of arena to me ever since, treating me like a son.

My own kids' spouses I consider my kids too and they call us mom and dad (or some reasonable variant).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.