new folder problem

Reaction score
My new folders which are made available in the finder has suddenly started showing the desktop information on the left side. I used to be able to get a blank new folder, but every one of my folders on my desktop now have this information in them. Here is the giff with a picture of this problem. I am a novice, so not sure this will open. Is there a way to stop this from happening. Even my daughter who is very good, can't figure it out.

/Users/helensmith/Desktop/finder folder .tiff

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Here is the giff with a picture of this problem.

A photo of the situation definitely helps a lot:)...but the photo you attempted to use is not working.:(

- Nick

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Welcome to Mac-Forums..

I would suggest taking a screenshot using the OS X shortcut of CMD+shift+3 which will take a shot of the entire screen and save it to your desktop. Now in the form here, when you are entering your post (if replying, you want to click on Go Advanced) you will see a Manage Attachments button past the area when you can type your message.

Click on that and in the pop-up window, browse to the Desktop and grab the newly created screenshot and it will be attached to your post..

OP
V
Reaction score
I took a screen shot and went to manage attachments and chose the photo, but it is not appearing anywhere in this post and there is no pop up windor, only a red "attachment key" that asks for the type of file and I don't know what filetype it is. Sorry, I am not very adept at this stuff, being an 80 year old who learned late :'(

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The window that shows the Attachment Key is the one you want. You may have to expand that window since it always seems to come up too small and obscure useful buttons..:)

On top you will see Choose File and to the right is a Upload button. You click on Choose File and then in the window that will appear, go to the Desktop and the choose the file name (if you took a screenshot with the shortcut I provided, it will be called Screenshot-<todays day & time>.png). Once you've selected the file, hit the Open/Choose button and then you have to click the Upload button on the right..

Once the file is uploaded, a new section named "Current Attachments" will appear showing the newly uploaded file, you can now close the window and submit your post..

OP
V
Reaction score
new folder problems

Thanks so much, you are a great help, and I did what you asked and it appears the screen shot is in the window. Let me know :)

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hmm, I don't see any attachments..

OP
V
Reaction score
I know, didn't see it but I followed your directions to the letter and it was there in current attachments, then I closed the window but it didn't go onto the note. I will have to get my daughter to see why. Thank you for all of the time spent trying to help me.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Did you upload the attachment? By default, the attachment window isn't wide enough to reveal the upload button on the far right.

OP
V
Reaction score
I did, but will try again. I did everything in the instructions sent, but for some reason, it just won't attach. give me some time to do it.. I would love to get this situation solved, it just popped up without warning.

OP
V
Reaction score
new folder problems

This is what I did.

screen shot is on my desktop.

1 -Manage attachment
choose file
open/choose
upload
current attachment opens showing screen shot is in there
clicked on UPLOAD on the right
Closed window

Maybe I skipped a step? I have a 20" intel based macintosh, snow leopard and latest OS.
I now see it on my additional options under Attach Files - Valid file extensions

Screen shot 2013-05-13 at 6.55.43 AM.png

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ahh there's the image..now what the issue again? :)..

OK, the thing on the left..thats the Sidebar. If you want to get rid of it and get just a blank window then once Finder is loaded, on top click on View->Hide Sidebar and that should get rid of it for you..

OP
V
Reaction score
yes, I know that's the sidebar, but it was never in my folders before. The problem is that all of my folder that are for specific things, suddenly have this sidebar in them, which is clutter. I went to the finder "view: and "hide sidebar" is grayed out. Also, there is no sidebar on my desktop viewable as you can see in the photo.

My question I think is, why in all the years I have had a mac, this never happened and all of a sudden, there is the entire sidebar in every single folder on my desk. Does anyone have any idea?

Thanks very much for trying.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Why? Maybe it got set to be viewed in one window, and then "Use as defaults" was checked. ???

If you click the little oval in the upper right corner, the Sidebar will disappear. But you might have to go into Show View Options and set it to be off, then check Use as Defaults. Start with a folder that's high in the folder structure, as that might control enclosed folders.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.