I have lost Keyboard ShortCut Option+⬅ ?? Help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
I use this short cut every day, more than i can count. I use CMD + ⬅ and CMD + ➜ all the time as well but Option + ⬅ and Option + ➜ i haven't got anymore :(
Its to move the cursor backwards or forwards on word, where the CMD option is to take me to either end of the line in writing in.

Please help. I have Repaired Permissions, i have looked in System Preferences, cleaned everything out with MainMenu, but I'm at a loss at where to go now.
What .plist should i trash to help out ??
It happens in Safari, Text Edit, Pages, Xcode, Textastic/Textmate (even though they have certain Tab lengths set into the App . . . It happens everywhere sort of.
Firefox won't work in the URL bar BUT on google.com in the search bar it works, and the same with Google Chrome.
It doesn't work in the search bar at google.com in Safari ??

Ideas ?? Tests to try ??

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Check the "tip" in my sig. You'd be amazed at what can get mucked up by that file.

OP
TattooedMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
OK mate, thanks but no joy. Well really i couldn't ring the bloody thing. Tried via Terminal nothing on the Desktop, Tried via searching in Finder, nothing, searched in Spotlight and nothing, but mind you did start a Spotlight Reindexing :(
I went searching in ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.GlobalPreferences.plist and its not there ??? Confused now as i believe it should be being part of my system :(

Other ideas ??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK mate, thanks but no joy. Well really i couldn't ring the bloody thing. Tried via Terminal nothing on the Desktop, Tried via searching in Finder, nothing, searched in Spotlight and nothing, but mind you did start a Spotlight Reindexing :(
I went searching in ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.GlobalPreferences.plist and its not there ??? Confused now as i believe it should be being part of my system

It's a hidden file. You can use the Terminal commands I gave in that thread to move it out and back (if need be) and take it on faith that the commands worked, or enable Finder to show hidden files. Desktop Utility is a freebie that can do that easily.

EDIT: it's not com.apple.GlobalPreferences.plist. It's .GlobalPreferences.plist. Recheck that screen cap.

OP
TattooedMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Next idea please :(

I showed all hidden files, ran the command, deleted it. In this time TimeMachine did a backup. I restarted my machine and tried it out, and no, i still don't have that command.
I restored Backup file from T.M ran the return command and here i am.
Anyone else with any ideas please. I have disabled ALL my Extensions as well and no luck. I did have problem before which came back to a rouge Ext . .

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Try resetting PRAM. It stores some settings related to the keyboard.

If that doesn't fix it, then we need to rule this out as a system-wide problem vs a user account problem. Create new user and see if the problems persist. If the problems do persist, then we'll come back to that.

If you don't have the problems in the new user account, then you need to start a process of elimination. Make a backup copy of your user Library folder, then delete an entire folder at a time. Start with the Preferences folder; log out and back in; then see if the problem is solved. If it is solved, then we know something in the folder is the culprit. Restore the original folder and from there refine the process of elimination. Batch delete a handful of files from the folder at a time, restoring after the same testing process as before, until you find the "batch" that has the buggy one. Then repeat the process for individual files in that batch.

Bear in mind that there could be a hidden file that is the culprit, so make sure you have invisible showing as you start the weeding process.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
BTW... I trust you did the usual with Onyx, like flush the user and system caches in particular?

OP
TattooedMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
BTW... I trust you did the usual with Onyx, like flush the user and system caches in particular?

Yea as in my first post i said i did use MainMenu and did a full clean. I have done a SMC reset and PRAM too with no change.

Im out today so ill report back on the New user Account later today.
Thank mate for the suggestions.

Cheers

OP
TattooedMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well thanks to your advice lifeisabeach mate. I ended up finding which .plist is was but took some digging.
I logged into my Guest account and all was fine, so i then knew it was isolated to my account then.

It ended up being ~/Library/Preferences/ByHost/com.apple.HIToolbox.A1E24B4D-9138-5257-A16D-D88924077F05.plist and below is what was inside it.
Makes sense, BUT after playing around, i logged in and out and it re-appeared and i lost my shortcut again, i deleted it, logged bad out/in and I'm fine again and have my shortcut. Not sure if this going to happen in the future, and if it does, why exactly it keeps happening.

Anything in the code below that sets of a alarm ?? I can't see any 3rd party whatever in there that could cause it. Ill just keep a eye out, but at leaf i can get to it now, and its not a hidden file either.
Once again thanks mate.

Code:
bplist00Ô
"'_AppleSelectedInputSources_AppleEnabledInputSources_AppleInputSourceHistory_'AppleCurrentKeyboardLayoutInputSourceID¡Ó	
_InputSourceKind_KeyboardLayout Name_KeyboardLayout ID_Keyboard Layout_Unicode Hex Inputÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ¥Ó_InputSourceKind_KeyboardLayout Name_KeyboardLayout ID_Keyboard LayoutZAustralianÒYBundle ID_Non Keyboard Input Method_com.apple.PressAndHoldÓ_Unicode Hex InputÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÒ_Non Keyboard Input Method_com.apple.CharacterPaletteIMÒ !_Non Keyboard Input Method_com.apple.KeyboardViewer¢#$Ó	
Ó	
%&ZAustralian_#com.apple.keylayout.UnicodeHexInput-HbŒŽ•§½Ñã÷
5I[fhmw“¬³ÇÐÕñ1LOV]hj(�

EDIT : Well i don't know if this was a forum Glitch or because i just deleted that .plist, but i went Advance so i could use the code box, and after i clicked submit, it said the message was too short ?? Lucky i copied the post (I do on any with some length just incase crap like this happens) then pasted it in and was fine ??
Might write a Pages document and see what happens . . . . . :Grimmace: :Confused: :Grimmace:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That is odd that you had to re-delete the file. Since you aren't having a problem at the moment with a fresh reboot, best thing to try is opening one app at a time and testing to see if the problem recurs after opening each one. Hopefully it's just some weird fluke and yer done with it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.