Looking for advice on using apple with home entertainment system

Reaction score
Hi, I am looking for advice on using an older iMac to control a home entertainment system, can I connect the sound to my amp and a media player such as dune to my Mac and be able to control inputs and volume control remotely on my iPad in another room, also ideally can I connect the Mac to a cabletv box and an apple tv. Would a raspberry pi be able to do this.

Help please experts !!!!

Redser

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Hi, I am looking for advice on using an older iMac to control a home entertainment system, can I connect the sound to my amp and a media player such as dune to my Mac and be able to control inputs and volume control remotely on my iPad in another room, also ideally can I connect the Mac to a cabletv box and an apple tv. Would a raspberry pi be able to do this.

I'm trying to decipher what it is you are trying to accomplish here. You can't "control" a CableTV box with a Mac, or even an AppleTV. I don't even know what you mean by "control" anyway. It sounds like you are making this far more complex than it needs to be. There's certainly no point to having an iMac in the midst of all this, except for streaming media from there to the Apple TV. Everything else should simply be connected to your Audio-Video Receiver and "controlled" with a remote control.

You can use Apple's Remote app on the iPad to access your iTunes Library and control playback to your Apple TV. As for the Dune device... well I don't even know which of their devices you are trying to use. If they have an app to control their devices, then obviously slap that on the iPad. Personally I prefer using a programmable task-based remote control. I currently use a Logitech Harmony One, but I'm hard pressed to recommend the Harmony line anymore due to the really poor build quality I've been experiencing lately. Their touchscreen models like the One are poorly thought out also. URC has some models that are supposed to be very good, as does Phillips.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
My iMac is my home entertainment system. I have an external monitor hooked up beside the computer so I can drag the DVD player window over to it and watch movies there, as well as any other media players. I only use the Apple remote to control the volume, iTunes, DVD Player or whatever else it can be used for. I don't watch TV or use DVR, so I don't know how that would work.

I output the video from the computer to the TV with an Thunderbolt to HDMI cable, and the audio goes from the computer to an input on my surroundsound system via a regular audio jack. The BluRay player on the surroundsound system can't be controlled from the computer; I have to select its output on my TV's remote and change the function on the BluRay player remote.

Everyone's set up is going to be a little different.

OP
R
Reaction score
Home Entertainment

Thanks for the replies guys. To explain, I have had a home entertainment system for a number of years now nearly 10, it is a 'Control4'system and I have amps and speakers sytem in two rooms. My control4 is now getting old and is starting to play up. Because of this and the number of ipads, iphones , macs and atv3 we have, i was hoping that I could replace the control 4 'brain' with another type of 'brain' that would do all the control 4 wold have done. I could of course replace the control4 but this would cost over 2,000.Alos in ordert o get the control4 app it costs in the region of 600 EUR. I was hoping to get some type of computer such as rasberry pi or other machine which, when set up, could quite seamlessly manage the various inputs from cable tv, bluray media player and apple tv3 and output it through my Yamaha amp to my television and all of this to be controlled by a simple app pr maybe two, since all the hardware is in a different room. This would then really marry all the technology in the house.

Hope this makes things clearer, it's really asking is there a computer or other way of controlling (ie switching inputs, sharing various menus and controlling volume) in the same way my Control4 central controller unit did.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac (Mid 2011), 3.4GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB RAM, 2GB Video Card, 2TB HDD
Yeah kind of (for the receiver anyway - not sure about the cable box).

I own a Harman Kardon a/v receiver that I can control with my iPhone. You need receiver or a pre amp/decoder that is network ready. It either needs to have wifi built into it or an ethernet port on the back (mine uses ethernet), then you connect it to your home wifi router, go into the receiver's menu and connect it to the network, then download the appropriate app in the app store. Almost all major home audio manufacturers have an app that doubles as a remote control there. Instead of using infrared, it just controls it through the wifi so you can change the volume, select inputs, etc from anywhere in the house so long as the iPhone or iPad is connected to the network.

If you don't want to buy a new receiver, then the Logitech Harmony Link is a nice alternative. It connects to the network then blasts the traditional infrared commands whenever you press something on your iPad/iPhone. This might be able to work with the cable box as well.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0097CVK10/?tag=macforums0e4-20

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Everyone's set up is going to be a little different.

I know that. Based on my limited understanding of what the OP was trying to accomplish, the Mac was (and is) out of place.

Thanks for the replies guys. To explain, I have had a home entertainment system for a number of years now nearly 10, it is a 'Control4'system and I have amps and speakers sytem in two rooms. My control4 is now getting old and is starting to play up. Because of this and the number of ipads, iphones , macs and atv3 we have, i was hoping that I could replace the control 4 'brain' with another type of 'brain' that would do all the control 4 wold have done. I could of course replace the control4 but this would cost over 2,000.Alos in ordert o get the control4 app it costs in the region of 600 EUR. I was hoping to get some type of computer such as rasberry pi or other machine which, when set up, could quite seamlessly manage the various inputs from cable tv, bluray media player and apple tv3 and output it through my Yamaha amp to my television and all of this to be controlled by a simple app pr maybe two, since all the hardware is in a different room. This would then really marry all the technology in the house.

I gotcha. Assuming your amps are indeed just "dumb" amps, then basically what you need is a "pre-amp".

I'm going to go back and make sure the terminology is clear here. A typical stereo or audio-visual receiver is actually a combination of a pre-amplifier and an amplifier. In component (rack) systems, these are separate pieces of hardware entirely. The pre-amp has the volume controls; hardware to receive and interpret remote control signals; hardware to process audio like Dolby Surround and DTS; and more. It is to this piece that you plug in the "source" units like a CD/DVD player, cable box, and so on. The pre-amp processes the video and audio signals, then routes them to the amplifier/TV set. If you have multiple amplifiers/zones, then it also has to be told which zone to send the signals to. The pre-amp is, indeed, the "brains" of the setup.

So... back to your problem. If your amps indeed are simple amplifiers, the you absolutely need a pre-amp. You don't have the inputs on a Mac (not likely any PC would) that are needed to plug your ATV, cable box, and so on into. You could probably buy a specialized audio/video capture that plugs into a Mac/PC to accept the inputs for its own needs, but then you'd have the problem of re-routing those signals and that's just well beyond what a PC is intended for.

Since you need the pre-amp to send to 2 different amplifiers (presumably one or the other as needed), then you need a pre-amp with multi-zone support. If you want to control this pre-amp with your iPad, then you'll need one that has wi-fi connectivity and explicitly supports the iPad, or work around it, as Adric has already elaborated on quite adequately. If you don't need to control this from another room, then quite frankly using a "task-based" universal remote control is a whole lot easier (and cheaper) if you set it up correctly. I'll see if I can find a couple good examples of pre-amps and post them back. (EDIT: Or not. I can't find any that aren't insanely expensive.)

P.S.: Say Adric, I like your taste. I have a Harman Kardon AVR myself. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac (Mid 2011), 3.4GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB RAM, 2GB Video Card, 2TB HDD

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.